cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link Sharing in Windows 11?

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Honestly, this seemingly late "bringing to the forefront" (I guess you'd call it) of the whole "Online Only" vs. "Make Available Offline" thing has been more of a headache than a help, if I may offer my opinion.

I purchased a new ultra-portable Windows computer which has a 256GB SSD on board, but I plan on using my Dropbox files with it, and I have well over 256GB worth of stuff in my Dropbox.

The thing is that I'm often in situations in which I need offline access to my files.

So I purchased a 1 TB microSD card, which will never leave its slot in this machine. Heck, I can't even retrieve it, it seems.

I mounted it so that it isn't considered "Removable Media" by the computer, and then I proceeded to install Dropbox on the computer, with the intent of using the 1 TB card exclusively for Dropbox content...offline.

I left my machine to sync overnight, and what do you know? Everything has a stupid cloud next to it.

I have no option to "Make Available Offline," either in the file/folder context menu or in the Dropbox application > Preferences > Sync menu.

If this is by design, it's a pitifully stupid design.

I'm going to whatever lengths I can to make this work the way I envision, but I'm going to be awfully disappointed if Dropbox doesn't respect use cases that might not necessarily conform to a narrow definition.

If it's an issue with a recent update to the application, then please bug the developers posthaste.

125 Replies 125

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that for us @mroman

Could you let us know if you have tried reinstalling the desktop app lately or have you recently updated your OS?

Do you happen to have any 3rd party apps running on your device? If so, you might want to take a look at this discussion too. 

Let me know if the information from the discussion I linked above helps in your case at all @langshipley 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I updated to Windows 11. Immediately after that, the Dropbox context menu disappeared, so the update to Windows 11 seems to be the issue. 

I have not reinstalled as it will take a very long time for all my files to resync. 

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi Walter, thanks for the link, but like mrroman, the update to the latest version of Windows 11 seems to have removed the Dropbox context menus from Windows Explorer. I HAVE tried reinstalling Dropbox and am on the latest version and that makes no difference. Reinstalling the Dropbox app does NOT bring back the context menus.

PhilMcDonald
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the same problem with Windows 11.

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

An update. I have tried editing the registry based on Lusil's suggestion here. https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Where-have-my-syncing-icons-gone/td-p/354022...

The good news is my sync icons came back. The bad news is my Dropbox context menus did not even though they are now in the Top 15 spaces as suggested. 

I do not know what else to do until some other suggested or solution is presented.

Thank you.

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is the same problem I'm having, except it has not resolved itself. I upgraded to Windows 11 on Sunday. Today is Wednesday and there is still no Dropbox context menu in Windows Explorer, though Dropbox is syncing. 

Been discussing here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Link-Sharing-in-Windows-11/m-p/630522/highlig...

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know. I suspected as much. I anticipated lots of work and time on my end, without a resolution in the end. 

This is clearly a Dropbox issue - and a hope an update that reinstates the context menu comes out soon. I use the "Copy Dropbox link" several times a day. Also, the "View on Dropbox.com" link. To have to open a browser, go to Dropbox.com, and find the file there that I'm looking at in File Explorer just so I can share it with a team member -- just doesn't work. 

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Same. I use Dropbox as a work tool and share quite a few files and folders with team members and clients. Not being able to right-click in Windows Explorer is a pain. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.

We have moved all similar reports to this thread, to keep track of the issue.

Can everyone please confirm the following:

1. Is the Dropbox application "Up to date" and not still syncing?
  2. Are you running the latest version of the Dropbox application (current stable version is 159.4.5870)?
  3. Has everyone tried the steps in this thread?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LUNARWAVE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
  1. Is the Dropbox application "Up to date" and not still syncing?
    YES
  2. Are you running the latest version of the Dropbox application (current stable version is 159.4.5870)?
    YES
  3. Has everyone tried the steps in this thread?
    YES

Tried everything. Literally. Still not working. But working fine on WIN10.
Need more support?