cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link Sharing in Windows 11?

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Honestly, this seemingly late "bringing to the forefront" (I guess you'd call it) of the whole "Online Only" vs. "Make Available Offline" thing has been more of a headache than a help, if I may offer my opinion.

I purchased a new ultra-portable Windows computer which has a 256GB SSD on board, but I plan on using my Dropbox files with it, and I have well over 256GB worth of stuff in my Dropbox.

The thing is that I'm often in situations in which I need offline access to my files.

So I purchased a 1 TB microSD card, which will never leave its slot in this machine. Heck, I can't even retrieve it, it seems.

I mounted it so that it isn't considered "Removable Media" by the computer, and then I proceeded to install Dropbox on the computer, with the intent of using the 1 TB card exclusively for Dropbox content...offline.

I left my machine to sync overnight, and what do you know? Everything has a stupid cloud next to it.

I have no option to "Make Available Offline," either in the file/folder context menu or in the Dropbox application > Preferences > Sync menu.

If this is by design, it's a pitifully stupid design.

I'm going to whatever lengths I can to make this work the way I envision, but I'm going to be awfully disappointed if Dropbox doesn't respect use cases that might not necessarily conform to a narrow definition.

If it's an issue with a recent update to the application, then please bug the developers posthaste.

125 Replies 125

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi uk49s, thank you for sharing that. Yes, I've already tried that and it didn't fix the problem. I've googled all the solutions I could possibly find online and tried most things before coming here to ask for help. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mroman, sorry to jump in here, but it looks like you don't have any Dropbox options in your right-click menu.

Can you please hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray with your mouse and let me know the sync status and version of the app?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @langshipley, did you perhaps recently update your computer to Windows 11?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LUNARWAVE
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same situation for me since updated to WIN11 22H2.

WIN10 is working fine. Please look into the 22H2 changes.

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi, yes. I am on Windows 11. I stated that in the main section of my initial post, along with the version of the Dropbox app I am using. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@langshipley wrote:

Hi, yes. I am on Windows 11.

Was Dropbox already installed on the computer when you updated to Windows 11, or was Dropbox installed after the computer was already on Windows 11?

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

My laptop came with Windows 11. I installed Dropbox onto the laptop, and it worked fine. Since then (it's been about 6 months), there have been a few updates to Windows 11, so I would say that Dropbox was already installed and working fine before the latest update to Windows 11. 

Current version of Windows 11: Windows 11 Home 10.0.22621, Build 22621

Current Dropbox app version: 159.4.5870

Thank you.

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That is correct - I have no Dropbox menu. Dropbox is synced. There are no issues with syncing. 

I just checked again after starting up today, and I still do not have a Dropbox context menu. 

Version is current stable version: 159.4.5870

TERRACE_87
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Yes

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi there, just checked my Windows updates settings. My current version is Windows 11, version 22H2. Not sure if it makes any difference. And it's up to date.

Need more support?