cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Link Sharing in Windows 11?

No Option to "Make Available Offline."

Jayson L.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Honestly, this seemingly late "bringing to the forefront" (I guess you'd call it) of the whole "Online Only" vs. "Make Available Offline" thing has been more of a headache than a help, if I may offer my opinion.

I purchased a new ultra-portable Windows computer which has a 256GB SSD on board, but I plan on using my Dropbox files with it, and I have well over 256GB worth of stuff in my Dropbox.

The thing is that I'm often in situations in which I need offline access to my files.

So I purchased a 1 TB microSD card, which will never leave its slot in this machine. Heck, I can't even retrieve it, it seems.

I mounted it so that it isn't considered "Removable Media" by the computer, and then I proceeded to install Dropbox on the computer, with the intent of using the 1 TB card exclusively for Dropbox content...offline.

I left my machine to sync overnight, and what do you know? Everything has a stupid cloud next to it.

I have no option to "Make Available Offline," either in the file/folder context menu or in the Dropbox application > Preferences > Sync menu.

If this is by design, it's a pitifully stupid design.

I'm going to whatever lengths I can to make this work the way I envision, but I'm going to be awfully disappointed if Dropbox doesn't respect use cases that might not necessarily conform to a narrow definition.

If it's an issue with a recent update to the application, then please bug the developers posthaste.

125 Replies 125

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi, an update to my post above. I've done more googling and learned that what I'm missing are the Dropbox context menus. There seems to be a lot of fixes for older versions of Windows, but I could not find anything for Windows 11. I would really appreciate being able to restore my Dropbox context windows into Windows 11 because not having them in Windows Explorer is extremely inconvenient. Kind of completely defeats the purpose of having the Dropbox app installed on my computer. Thanks.

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just upgraded to Windows 11. Dropbox is syncing, but I do not have a Copy Dropbox link option in File Explorer (Windows Explorer)...not even in Show More Options. It's just not there. I have installed all the latest Windows updates. I have scanned Dropbox with Windows Defender and allowed it through the firewall. I have quit Dropbox and restarted it. Dropbox shows in File Explorer, but the option to copy a link is not available. 

Chris102
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think my dropbox got updated which is what brought me that feature in Win 11

However to your comment, I now go to: Right Click the File > Dropbox > Copy Dropbox Link

I don't use "Show More Options"

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, Chris. I don't see a Dropbox option in the first menu. It's not in Show More Options either. 

Chris102
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am not sure what the issue may be. You might need to hang tight for an update to something.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for posting about this on the forum, @langshipley!

One thing that I’d like you to clarify in this case, is whether the desktop app on your device is currently running. 

If it is, can you let me know what's its current syncing status? You should be able to check this by hovering over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Keep me posted.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mroman, sorry to jump in, but could you send us a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on files in your Dropbox folder on your computer?

Also, is the desktop app 'up to date' in your system tray or still syncing?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mroman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Everything is syncing both ways. I can see updated files and my coworkers are seeing my updated files.

Here's the Show More Options menu I am seeing. There is no "Dropbox" menu upon the first right-click, or anything like the old "Copy Dropbox link" or even "View on Dropbox.com." And, those options are not in the Show More Options sub-menu either.

mroman_0-1666126972721.png

langshipley
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Yes, the Dropbox app is running and the sync status is up to date. I know that it is syncing properly because I have tested it and have had some things sync across a few devices that are showing up on my computer. 

uk49s
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Read this discussion. May be this can help you here https://www.cbackup.com/articles/dropbox-right-click-uk49s-menu-missing.html. If this will help you then please mentioned me here.

Need more support?