cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

There is a new PC folder (labeled PC) created in the new backup program that backs up my files on the internet (dropbox.com) only . However, that same folder does not appear on the Dropbox App on my iPhone or on my PC (dropbox folder)  - so none of the new files that are downloaded to the internet sync with the iPhone App. When I manually place files in the  Dropbox folder on my PC, it will then sync with my iPhone dropbox app. 

There use to be a file in the dropbox folder labeled for my Dell Computer name, and that file still exists, but it does not back up to that file as it use to before this new backup program existed. Almost all the files in that Dell Computer name folder have now disappeared. 

How do I automatically sync new files to my desktop PC dropbox folder, and therefore also the iPhone App, without manually having to do so?

I don't think drop box is supposed to work this way.

25 Replies 25

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

I don't know what the "root of the Dropbox folder is" nor where to find it. All I know is that when I add files to my desktop, they do not sync with my iPhone. Others have noticed this too and it is not a welcome application to the new Dropbox model. I think I will be taking my business elsewhere. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Your root folder, is essentially your Dropbox folder inside your File Explorer @robncarin

Are you able to locate these files when you visit your account online?

If not, then this might be a syncing issue, that I'll be more than happy to help you resolve. I'd like to ask your app's current syncing status, to check its progress, please. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Megan- The dropbox folder inside my file explorer DOES NOT sync with the files on my computer (windows 10). All files are sync'd as noted in the dropbox in my taskbar. The only option that I know of is to copy and paste my new documents to my dropbox folder and ONLY THEN will it sync to my iPhone. Do you have a solution so I do not have to do this manually every time I save a file??

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @robncarin, could you clarify what the difference is between the 'file explorer' and the 'files on your computer'? A screenshot showing this would be helpful!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

Jay-- They are the same. When files are added to file explorer/My Documents, they do not sync  to the drop box folder. I screenshotted my files. The documents folder is in "This PC" . The dropbox folder is separated as you can see (last image scanned) .

I also created a new folder just now called "Test Folder" in "My Documents" . As you can see, the same folder did not generate in the Dropbox folder. If they were "sync'd" properly, then the folder would appear in the Dropbox folder. It doesn't .  

I'd be happy to share whatever else you need to solve this problem.

dropbox Screenshot 2024-04-30 195159.jpgtest folder doc Screenshot 2024-04-30 195036.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-30 194446.jpg

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

Jay-- when I go to my dropbox/backup site- you can see that the new "Test Folder"  is there - but it is not in the dropbox file on my computer nor is it in the dropbox App. Backups Screenshot 2024-04-30 200515.jpg

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarification. On the new version of the Dropbox Backup feature, the folders select (such as Documents, Desktop, etc) are no longer moved into the Dropbox folder. 

This also means that those folders in the backup are no longer visible on other devices, and can only be accessed directly from the Dropbox site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
Dear Dropbox staff: taking away a fabulous functionality that people like is a terrible business decision. I would like to know the reasoning behind this move made by Dropbox. Dropbox staff communications skills are lacking. There’s no specifics just take it away. Too bad so sad but the problem for Dropbox will be people will be mad and mad is bad for business.

martinipete
New member | Level 2

Nancy,

That's not how I use Dropbox AT ALL. I used to frequently access my laptop backup files from my iPhone app. This was a crucial feature for me. I spend money for 2T of storage on Dropbox and you lot have basically cut me off from 500Gb of what I pay to use your service to access. At this point it looks like the inevitable transfer to Google Drive or iCloud will need to happen sooner rather than later. Which is sad considering how long I've been a Dropbox customer and advocate.

martinipete
New member | Level 2

Megan,

If the files appear both on our computer (which is backed up to Dropbox) and we drag and drop the folder into the Dropbox root folder (thus uploading those same files to Dropbox) aren't storing the same file twice? In other words, if I have a backup that is 500GB and I drop that same data into the root file, aren't I going to be "charged" for 1T of storage?

Need more support?