cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

New Dropbox Backup does not sync to Dropbox iPhone App

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

There is a new PC folder (labeled PC) created in the new backup program that backs up my files on the internet (dropbox.com) only . However, that same folder does not appear on the Dropbox App on my iPhone or on my PC (dropbox folder)  - so none of the new files that are downloaded to the internet sync with the iPhone App. When I manually place files in the  Dropbox folder on my PC, it will then sync with my iPhone dropbox app. 

There use to be a file in the dropbox folder labeled for my Dell Computer name, and that file still exists, but it does not back up to that file as it use to before this new backup program existed. Almost all the files in that Dell Computer name folder have now disappeared. 

How do I automatically sync new files to my desktop PC dropbox folder, and therefore also the iPhone App, without manually having to do so?

I don't think drop box is supposed to work this way.

25 Replies 25

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @robncarin, thanks for messaging the Community.

After a recent change, backups created using the Dropbox Backup feature are no longer visible in the Dropbox mobile app, and it isn't possible to re-enable this option.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

thanks for the quick response. 

So why even have a drop box app on the iphone if all the PC information is not there? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @robncarin, sorry to jump in. The Dropbox mobile app is mostly used for files that have been directly uploaded to your Dropbox account (it's basically a reflection of the files you see at your All files page here).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

robncarin
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Nancy-

Well my dropbox app does not automatically update files that have been directly uploaded to my dropbox account. Why is it not working for me?

This is the e-mail I received but  any new files that I place on my computer ONLY go to the backup online - NOT to my dropbox App. Please help me fix that. thanks

View backups whenever, wherever
Now you can view your files from anywhere with our mobile app or on the web at dropbox.com/backups/all.

NickWalton
Explorer | Level 4

same issue, i believe its a new update they've done to the dropbox back up for some users. very frustrating as a big reason i used dropbox was to be able to access all the files on my computer on my phone without having to drag them whatever i want to view into a seperate dropbox folder.

NickWalton
Explorer | Level 4

spent 4 hours yesterday trying to figure out what happened but i think this is a new permanent change to the system

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @robncarin, if you use our desktop app, and use the root of the Dropbox folder to add content to your account online, these changes should also be reflected in your mobile app.

If you need to check more in regards your Dropbox Backups when using your mobile, you'd need to check your backup page online

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
On April 13 around midnight, I got a big dialog box from Dropbox. I couldn’t get out of it. I had to click back up. I didn’t know they were gonna screw up the entire system on the Mac desktop. It used to be that the desktop would be backed up and visible on my iPhone app now it is not thank you very much Dropbox for screwing this up. I can’t believe it, what is the screwup now I’m seeing your response. Oh, we’re gonna take away this whole functionality of having my Mac desktop available on my iPhone. I have medical information and all kinds of stuff I use on the Dropbox app that no longer have access to what about that? What is the problem with your company ?

I see the back up on my desktop. It doesn’t do me a goddamn bit of good. It’s under the file name Dropbox/backups/Mac what’s the point why do I have to look at my desktop on dropbox when I already have my desktop available on my Mac the only reason I need it for is for my iPad and my iPhone. What I think a company would take away it a principal application functionality and I seen other people at the same Bob might have and what is Dropbox in about it. Nothing absolutely nothing no email no nothing. No wonder this is going out of business.

Spushor
Helpful | Level 6
On April 13 around midnight, I got a big dialog box from Dropbox. I couldn’t get out of it. I had to click back up. I didn’t know they were gonna screw up the entire system on the Mac desktop. It used to be that the desktop would be backed up and visible on my iPhone app now it is not thank you very much Dropbox for screwing this up. I can’t believe it, what is the screwup now I’m seeing your response. Oh, we’re gonna take away this whole functionality of having my Mac desktop available on my iPhone. I have medical information and all kinds of stuff I use on the Dropbox app that no longer have access to what about that? What is the problem with your company ?

I see the back up on my desktop. It doesn’t do me a bit of good. It’s under the file name Dropbox/backups/Mac what’s the point why do I have to look at my desktop on dropbox when I already have my desktop available on my Mac the only reason I need it for is for my iPad and my iPhone. Why would a company take away its a principal application functionality and I seen other people have the same problem and what is Dropbox doing about it? Nothing absolutely nothing no email no nothing. Please restore the desktop sync capability between the iPad, iPhone and other devices as previous to April 13.
Need more support?