cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location error in file explorer of Win10 after changing location.

Location error in file explorer of Win10 after changing location.

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just installed dropbox to my new computer on windows 10,  I realised that I set the files to C/ instead of D/   After doing that the Dropbox icon in file explorer give me an error that the location is not available because C/ is empty blablabla      I can't figure out how to remove that dropbox shortcut or update it to the new location...  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I paused and resumed sync threw the client and it fixed the problem the icon got update to the new directory.

But thank you for taking the time to answer!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

William

you can go into Preferences by clicking on your Dropbox icon in your system tray.  Click on it and click on the gear icon then select Preferences, then Go to the Account tab, then select the move button.  Then a dialog pops asking for the new location.

Hopes this helps  

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok thank you for your answer but that's not what I meant. 

I have already done this, I moved my dropbox folder from C:/ to D:/ and it moved just fine.   My issue is with the Dropbox icon with the logo that appeared in the file explorer on the left, next to OneDrive icon.  I used to click on this to access my dropbox folder but since I moved the location when I click on this icon it gives me an error message that the location doesn't exist anymore, I've tried to delete it but I cannot find the delete button or unpin or anything like that. I just want it to update to the new location but it doesnt seem to be working.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks for responding, William, just to clarify things, did you move the folder, or did you let the Client move it?  if you did, then that's the problem, the client needs to do the moving since it has to do other things, not just move but add contextual menus.  If you did use the client, then what version are you using?  Sometimes, upgrading to the latest stable build will fix a few things.

Let us know please

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I moved it using the client exactly how you said in your first message. I'm pretty sure I'm on the last version since I downloaded the client tonight from the Dropbox site. v33.4.23 I'm also on the last Win10 version.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

William

I don't have a lot of experience in Win 10, although I have my Home box a Win 10.  But sometimes, adding an existing favorite will reinitialize the favorite listed.  So, go to your Dropbox folder (on D:) and make a favorite, put it close to the other one.  See if it replaces it. or maybe it wouldn't but according to this Article.  It will tell you how to add and even remove the favorite.  The article also shows other tricks.  See if this pertains to you.

Hopes this helps

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you but that article seem to be for windows 7, I don't have a favorite folder at all. 

william c.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I paused and resumed sync threw the client and it fixed the problem the icon got update to the new directory.

But thank you for taking the time to answer!

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks for sharing what works for you.  I am happy that it figured out.  This will be valuable as others might have the same issue as you

I guess the correct wording should be quick access instead of favorites.  BTW its a Mac phase.  You can still do those task in Win 10 as I just tried several on my machine.  But no matter here as it wasn't the solution.

Have a good day

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris_J Super User
    william c.52 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?