cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with connecting to the desktop app - permanently stuck on Starting...

Issues with connecting to the desktop app - permanently stuck on Starting...

jhashimoto
Explorer | Level 3

Our current configuration for our organization's dropbox is as such - we have one dropbox account which is shared with multiple individuals and is typically logged into on the desktop dropbox application by multiple computers throughout the day. For whatever reason, our ability to access the desktop dropbox app stopped the other day. We are both currently stuck in one of two options: either dropbox tells us that it is starting... and never does start, or it tells us that the we cannot connect to internet, even though both of us are currently connected to wifi, and never stops starting a sync that doesn't exist.

Currently here is the list of things that we have tried to fix the issue: 

• Restarted computer multiple times
  • Full Reinstall, with restart inbetween
  • Different Wifi connections
  • Unlinking our computers via the admin menu in Dropbox (they no longer can be linked since we are stuck on the Starting menu)
  • Tried Deleting the Dropbox cache folder
  • Full Windows Update
  • Using a different account with shared access, still can't access the desktop app so that doesn't change anything

So far we have run out of ideas/things that we were able to find on the forum as a potential fix, any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you need any additional information as well I can provide that in the thread. 

23 Replies 23

AndyFranzel
Explorer | Level 3

Hi JParts. As I'm not that good in IT would you mind to provide a step-by-step on how to add the domains and IPs to that port?

JParts
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Andy Franzel.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to give you a step-by-step guide as everything will depend on the Firewall you use and the version used.

Another important issue is checking your antivirus. Some antivirus software has a firewall or inspection service for the websites you visit, which may interfere with or block access to the Dropbox application. Check if there is any option to create "exceptions" and add the Dropbox domains and your application (Dropbox.exe).

If you do not have any third-party antivirus then you will need to analyze Windows Defender and your Firewall.

I suspect that there was some change in the Dropbox application's access, perhaps the IP or domain for connection was changed. I also suspect that there has been some change in the content of the packages that are exchanged between the application on our computer and the Dropbox system.

AndyFranzel
Explorer | Level 3

Seems like as per my company policy I won't be able to use Dropbox App on my company laptop. But Dropbox browser is working fine. Is there anyway I can synch my Dropbox folder on my laptop by logging into my Dropbox account via browser?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AndyFranzel, it won't be possible to sync the files directly, like with the normal Dropbox app, since it is required for the syncing process to work. 

You will still be able to upload and download files manually to and from the site, however. 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    AndyFranzel Explorer | Level 3
    JParts Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?