cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I use the desktop Dropbox app. Now I see the Windows Store app is installed but "hidden". Why?

I use the desktop Dropbox app. Now I see the Windows Store app is installed but "hidden". Why?

SteveS78
Explorer | Level 4

Long ago I installed the desktop Dropbox program and have never installed the Windows Store Dropbox app. Today, the desktop program auto-updated as usual. But when I was using a tool to see what Windows Store apps I have on my computer, I noticed that the Windows Store app is also installed but is marked as "hidden". Why do I have the Store app installed? (I avoid using Store apps.)

Will the desktop Dropbox program still work if I delete the Store app?dropbox win app.JPG

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @SteveS78 

The "hidden" Dropbox app that OOAPB reports is not related to the Dropbox app from the Windows Store, but to Dropbox accommodating to the new Windows 11 right-click context menu requirements for its desktop client. It is not related with the taskbar icon. Full details below.

You mentioned you are running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, which is also known as the "2022 Update" to Windows 11. Since over time the context menu got very long and cluttered, with Windows 11 Microsoft changed the requirements for an app to extend the right-click context menu. The legacy context-menu entries (added by apps which have not been ported to Windows 11) are now grouped inside the "Show more options" entry, while apps wanting to get an entry in the main right-click context menu need to have an "app identity".

Since the Dropbox desktop client is a traditional desktop app (which Microsoft calls "an unpackaged Win32 app" as opposed to Windows Store packaged apps) it has to use a "signed sparse package" in order to extend the new right-click context menu of Windows 11. That sparse package is just a legit addition made by the Dropbox desktop client in order to meet the new requirements and provide the app identity to Windows Explorer. The sparse package is what gets reported by OOAPB as the "hidden app".

Notice in your screenshot that the size of this hidden app is just 274.69 KB while the actual Dropbox app is 480 MB, so it clearly doesn't contain the full Dropbox app, just the required sparse package. You can confirm this yourself by opening a PowerShell prompt and running the following command which will list the details of the installed sparse package:

get-appxpackage Dropbox*

Copy the InstallLocation found in the output of the above PowerShell command and paste it in the Windows Explorer address bar. Notice how it matches the path of the hidden app reported by OOAPB.  Using Windows Explorer you will be able to explore the contents of the hidden app folder and confirm it doesn't contain the full Dropbox app.

With regards to your other question, if you uninstall this "hidden" app the only consequence I would see is the Dropbox context menu entries not showing up anymore on the right-click context menu.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

P.S. I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SteveS78, welcome to our Community! 

When you mention the Windows Store Dropbox app, are you referring to the screenshot that you attached? 

I'm asking, because if I am not mistaken all I see there is the program file of the app and the app itself. You also mentioned that it's hidden. 

Would you mind walking me through the steps that you followed on your end, in order to check for it? 

I'll be waiting for your update!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SteveS78
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

I prefer desktop applications rather than Microsoft Store apps. I use the O&O program called OOAPB.exe to manage apps or extensions from the Microsoft Store. That is what the screenshot in my original post is from. You'll notice there are two instances of "Dropbox" listed. The screen shot is a dropdown description of the details of the Store app:

Version: 202.4.5551

Type: Windows App (hidden)

Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Dropboxlnc.Dropbox_202.4.5551.0_x64_wkt425jdc3sga

The other instance of "Dropbox" is for the desktop program:

Version: 202.4.5551

Type: Desktop App

Path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client

(OOAPB screenshot attached)

I never installed the Microsoft Store app. Why is it there? I'd like to uninstall it. Thanks.

dropbox desktop  app.JPG

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hope it’s OK if I chime in, @SteveS78. If you check your system tray, do you see a small Dropbox icon close to your clock settings?

Other than that, uninstalling Dropbox for Windows 10 in S-Mode should be the same as uninstalling any other Windows Store app from your device.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

SteveS78
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

To be clear, I have never had Windows 10 S-Mode installed on my computer. I use Win 10 Pro version 22H2. I don't want to uninstall the Dropbox desktop program. I want to know if Dropbox desktop will continue to function properly if I uninstall the "hidden" WindowsApps version of Dropbox. I also wonder why the WindowsApp version is even on my computer.

Yes, I have the Dropbox icon in the taskbar in the lower right, but no other desktop program I've ever installed has installed a hidden WindowsApp in order for a taskbar icon to be displayed.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Steve

DBoxTips
Experienced | Level 11

Hello @SteveS78 

The "hidden" Dropbox app that OOAPB reports is not related to the Dropbox app from the Windows Store, but to Dropbox accommodating to the new Windows 11 right-click context menu requirements for its desktop client. It is not related with the taskbar icon. Full details below.

You mentioned you are running Windows 10 Pro version 22H2, which is also known as the "2022 Update" to Windows 11. Since over time the context menu got very long and cluttered, with Windows 11 Microsoft changed the requirements for an app to extend the right-click context menu. The legacy context-menu entries (added by apps which have not been ported to Windows 11) are now grouped inside the "Show more options" entry, while apps wanting to get an entry in the main right-click context menu need to have an "app identity".

Since the Dropbox desktop client is a traditional desktop app (which Microsoft calls "an unpackaged Win32 app" as opposed to Windows Store packaged apps) it has to use a "signed sparse package" in order to extend the new right-click context menu of Windows 11. That sparse package is just a legit addition made by the Dropbox desktop client in order to meet the new requirements and provide the app identity to Windows Explorer. The sparse package is what gets reported by OOAPB as the "hidden app".

Notice in your screenshot that the size of this hidden app is just 274.69 KB while the actual Dropbox app is 480 MB, so it clearly doesn't contain the full Dropbox app, just the required sparse package. You can confirm this yourself by opening a PowerShell prompt and running the following command which will list the details of the installed sparse package:

get-appxpackage Dropbox*

Copy the InstallLocation found in the output of the above PowerShell command and paste it in the Windows Explorer address bar. Notice how it matches the path of the hidden app reported by OOAPB.  Using Windows Explorer you will be able to explore the contents of the hidden app folder and confirm it doesn't contain the full Dropbox app.

With regards to your other question, if you uninstall this "hidden" app the only consequence I would see is the Dropbox context menu entries not showing up anymore on the right-click context menu.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

P.S. I am an individual contributor to the Dropbox Community forums, not affiliated with Dropbox in any way. All opinions expressed here are my own.

SteveS78
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the excellent, detailed reply Andrew. Much appreciated. For my workflow methods, I have no need for Dropbox to be on the context menu, so I may just remove the 'hidden' app and see if any impacts ensue - other than simplifying the context menu which I wouldn't mind at all. I have no immediate plans to move from Win 10 to Win 11.

Steve

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SteveS78 Explorer | Level 4
    DBoxTips Experienced | Level 11
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?