cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I don't enjoy the new Backup and the way to utilize it.

I don't enjoy the new Backup and the way to utilize it.

Nick7879
Explorer | Level 3

I have iMac at my desk. I use Macbook when I travel. Until recently, the list of Dropbox folders conveniently showed me backups of both computers on all my devices, including phones and iPads. So, I could fetch whatever document from either of those backups anytime. Recently, I bought a new Macbook for travel and migrated the old one to it. I deleted the old backup and disconnected my old computer. I created backup at the new Macbook.
But I can't see the Macbook backup as a folder in my Dropbox list of folders anywhere: neither at the iMac, nor at my phone's App, not even in the list of All Files when I visit Dropbox.com. The only way to get to it is to visit their 'new location' - All Backups - https://www.dropbox.com/backup
I spent hours trying to troubleshoot what seemed like a technical issue, only to find out it's a design choice by Dropbox. Here is their Support's response:
Please do keep in mind that we have a new backup feature, and now, for security purposes you can now access your backup only through our website.
I just can't believe it! This is the highest level of stupidity I've ever seen from a vendor. I can't access my files in Dropbox on my phone or iPad, except when logging in to their website using the web browser. It's my backup, files, phone, and Dropbox account. What else do they need to protect my security? I've been Dropbox paying client for years. This change I can't accept. It's time to move to iCloud.
PS. If you have yet to create a new backup, you won't even notice this. The feature has not been officially announced. New users would never have learned how convenient Dropbox was in the past - not anymore.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Nick7879, thanks for posting here! 

Sorry to hear about this, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with our Community! 

Your feedback regarding our Backup has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Nick7879
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, Megan.
I don't think they gonna listen, though.
As a friendly advice, tell them to stop lying, at minimum.
Here is what your 'Welcome to Dropbox Backup' message states:
View backups whenever, wherever
Now you can view your files from anywhere with our mobile app or on the web at dropbox.com/backups/all.
This is not true. The backups are not accessible with the mobile app.

KTMac
Explorer | Level 4

I am facing the same issue and it is 100% unacceptable. I can't access files, edit, save, and email them. Dropbox was PERFECT 6 months ago. It is a nightmare now and I will be leaving. Access to email only support with a 14hr lag during the workweek is not acceptable either. 

KTMac
Explorer | Level 4

Megan--this issue has to be resolved. It is unworkable for the customer. I will be leaving Dropbox this week if this is not resolved. 

KTMac
Explorer | Level 4

We are paying to store and access for OUR convenience; this is insane.  I have wasted too much time on this issue also. 

Mark
Super User II

@KTMac wrote:

Megan--this issue has to be resolved. It is unworkable for the customer. I will be leaving Dropbox this week if this is not resolved. 

Unfortunately this is a new 'by design' feature. There isnt anything to resolve in the current design/implementation. 

As has been said though continue to make things clear here, but, it isnt going to be changed / updated within a week or so. 

Dropbox syncing however (not backup!) may do what you want - just not with extra folders. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

KTMac
Explorer | Level 4

Ironically, I was on all week with them as the app says all files are synced with no issue but only 2000 of 43K are. They have no answers. Again. Dropbox isn't my M-F job. They should have tech support on weekends. 

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox support is, unfortunately, very poor I have to say 😞 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?