cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I safely uninstall and reinstall the desktop app without losing files?

How can I safely uninstall and reinstall the desktop app without losing files?

Bewildered_Bobby
Collaborator | Level 8

I'm running Desktop Basic under Windows 7 but it may not have been initially installed as ADMIN. There are several files in folders that are not easily replaced. If the current version is uninstalled will these files remain intact and be accessible under reinstalled Desktop ? Are there any "gotchas" with uninstall & reinstall ?  Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to hear that, Bob!

If you need any help or have questions, we're here for you.

Have a great day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bewildered_Bobby, thanks for reaching out to us.

You're actually very safe to uninstall the Dropbox app from your computer and then reinstalling.

Uninstalling the app, doesn't remove the Dropbox folder or your files.

If you want to install the Dropbox app with admin privileges, you can follow the steps here.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Bewildered_Bobby
Collaborator | Level 8

I'm still running old but venerable Win 7 on the desktop. Dropbox "basic" desktop has been installed and reinstalled but possibly not as ADMIN (no specific request for admin password). The instructions provided for uninstall & reinstall do not appear to pertain specifically to either Win 7 users or the version of Dropbox for Desktop that is currently installed.  After apparently successful reinstall clicking on the Dropbox entry in start menu fails to run it as expected.  Otherwise Dropbox runs OK but I am curious if more options will be avail if it had been installed specifically as admin. How can I confirm that what is installed is appropriate for Win 7 and associated Dropbox version ?   Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@Bewildered_Bobby, if you weren’t asked for an admin password while reinstalling the Dropbox app, you don’t need to worry; this means you’re already an admin on your computer and the Dropbox app was automatically installed with admin rights, so this is expected behavior. 

To make sure everything’s running properly though, I’d like you to open your local Dropbox folder and right click on your files/folders; do you see any Dropbox options if you do this? 

Can you see syncing icons next to your files, too?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Bewildered_Bobby
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Nancy: You wrote - "To make sure everything’s running properly though, I’d like you to open your local Dropbox folder and right click on your files/folders; do you see any Dropbox options if you do this? Can you see syncing icons next to your files, too?

On the local HD under PROGRAM FILES (X86) there is a fldr DROPBOX with 2 fldrs underneath - CLIENT and UPDATE.  Underneath each of these 2 fldrs are other NUMBERED fldrs but nothing recognizable. Plz advise what is wrong. Thanx.

Still Bewildered Bob

Rich
Super User II

@Bewildered_Bobby wrote:

On the local HD under PROGRAM FILES (X86) there is a fldr DROPBOX ...

That's the Dropbox program folder. Nancy was referring to the Dropbox folder where your files are stored. This is, by default, C:\Users\[your_username]\Dropbox.

Bewildered_Bobby
Collaborator | Level 8

Rick: right-clicking on one of the fldrs shown shows  a dropdown menu with several Dropbox specific entries: "copy Dropbox link", "view on Dropbox.com", "don't sync to Dropbox.com".

Does this mean that it has been installed correctly assuming that I have admin credentials even 'tho there was no request for admin password ?  Thanx.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bewildered_Bobby, it sounds the app is indeed installed to your device, yes. 

If you don't face any palpable issues, then it means it's already installed with admin privileges

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Bewildered_Bobby
Collaborator | Level 8

Hi Megan: Thanx for the quick reply. But Nancy also wrote - "Can you see syncing icons next to your files, too?"  Since syncing icons are NOT visible can I assume that "syncing" is optional which may explain absence of syncing icons since my desktop is only device in use ?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Bewildered_Bobby, could you send us a screenshot of how your files inside your Dropbox folder look like at the moment including the app's status as shown in your system tray

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Bewildered_Bobby Collaborator | Level 8
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?