cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox won't install on new Mac Studio M2 Ultra

Dropbox won't install on new Mac Studio M2 Ultra

Newyawksue
Explorer | Level 3

I'm on Ventura 13.5.1 and just Apple just moved everything over from my Macbook Pro where Dropbox was working fine. I've tried using the latest stable download and nothing works. VPNs off, potential conflicting programs quit, user permission read/write (including enclosing folder). The error file (which I don't understand) mentions "bn. is frozen: True", "trace.__file__: ~~~~ boot_error.pyc'", " line 103, in unobfuscate" as are other lines, error "invalid padding bytes" and then in other exceptions, same plus "permissionerror: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ~~~~ hostkeys'".

Any of that make sense? I have no clue what else to do.

15 Replies 15

Newyawksue
Explorer | Level 3

When I set up this new Mac though, everything from my Macbook Pro came over automatically. On that laptop I had 2 users and always, always permission errors. I don't know how many times I went to the username folder and fixed read/write permission w/all enclosed folders and it never fixed 100%. I think having dropbox, google drive and icloud all installed complicated this somehow but I never figured out how to fix it for keeps; I always had to do it over and over. That's the sole reason I only have 1 user now. I say this because I suspect some of those complications carried over somehow. I have gone to the root folder of this new computer and checked, but saw no issues.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Newyawksue, thanks for clarifying! 

Can you please perform an advanced re-install, as Mark suggested earlier? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Newyawksue
Explorer | Level 3

Re: Advanced re-install ...

Directions: 1) Quit Dropbox ... there is nothing to quit. 2) Uninstall ... there is nothing to uninstall. It has never been on this computer.  I did throw the app and it's installer (from trying unsuccessfully to install it new) into the trash from my root hard drive (above my username). Nothing running in Activity Monitor. No apps are in the Applications folder under my username. No folders named Dropbox or any others I've used prior for Dropbox. Just a directory that has a bunch of dropbox folders that I downloaded from DP on the web named "files from dropbox" ... newly created and never used it for db syncing. 3) when uninstall finishes ... n/a. I already restarted my computer yesterday. 4. Delete dp system folders ... non-existant. 5. Get newest version and download .... this is where I am and have requested help.

As I said earlier, Advanced re-install does not apply.  What do I do now?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

In this case, can I send you an email in order for us to have a closer look into this @Newyawksue?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Newyawksue
Explorer | Level 3

Yes please! Please use [removed per the Community's Guidelines]. Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Newyawksue, sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention that I followed up via email to the email address that's linked to your profile here, on our Community.

Whenever you get the chance, please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?