cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

".dropbox" file shows "NSFileProviderErrorDomain error -2005" on mac

".dropbox" file shows "NSFileProviderErrorDomain error -2005" on mac

nothing500
New member | Level 2

I've read that I should keep the ".dropbox" file. It shows up on two of my mac computers with a sync error status of "The operation couldn't be completed. (NSFileProviderErrorDomain error -2005)". I'd like to understand what is going on here and what I can do to relieve my account of its errors. Any information is appreciated. 

For starters...

- Is this file supposed to be synced?

- I don't know how I would even remove it from being synced aside from deleting it.

- Why don't I see it on dropbox.com?

- Is it trying to sync?

- Are file names like this acceptable?

- What can I do to fix the error?

specs: macOS 12.6.9 running Dropbox Basic v182.4.6427 using "updated" version for Apple’s updated File Provider API.

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nothing500, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Have you perhaps enabled hidden files on this particular computer?

That would explain why you can see the .dropbox file.

And can you please send us a screenshot of the error that you're seeing?

Thanks in advance.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nothing500
New member | Level 2

Thanks, Hannah. I do have hidden files enabled, so I'm not surprised to see the file. But I don't understand the error.

SS 2023-09-19 at 22.21.31.png

Dropbox describes the Sync error status icon:

"A cloud with an exclamation point inside means that your file or folder can’t update or sync. If you just attempted to add this file or folder to your Dropbox account, it may mean that it can’t be added." From https://help.dropbox.com/sync/macos-sync-icons

Notably, I get the same error for my "Camera Uploads" folder icon, which is another hidden file, but it's one that Dropbox created a long time ago when I created an account.

SS 2023-09-19 at 22.29.15.png

Here I duplicated that file, but it doesn't produce the error:

SS 2023-09-19 at 22.47.55.png

I'm also now wondering if I can delete the ".dropbox" file and recreate it myself... I'm going to try deleting these files.

nothing500
New member | Level 2

I deleted "Icon?" and ".dropbox" on two computers. Restarted one computer and the files didn't reappear.  Others in the past have found that file to reappear. I'm kinda feeling okay with this, but still wondering if ".dropbox" files are even used anymore or what. I kept a backup of mine.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

nothing500 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?