cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Dropbox does not appear on tray box, does not start at start up, does not sync files - Windows 7

Carlo C.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the latest version of Dropbox 3.2.6. Its been about 3 days that dropbox wont work on one of my systems running Windows 7. It was working and syncing fine a few days ago. Now I try to check it in the task bar system tray and the icon is gone, not hidden. I check the windows start up services and dropbox is no where to be found. The task manager shows the process running but no change on memory usage for that application. I have tried uninstalling and installing and no change. In fact once its done installing it doesn't show me the steps that usually come after the installation is complete like choosing sync options, etc. I upgraded to pro user thinking that was gonna fix it but still no change. It is working fine on my laptop which has windows 8 but I need it to work on my desktop as well. I hope this gets resolved, I have been using this service for a couple of years but if this keeps on occurring I will be force to seek a better cloud storage service, and I dont want to do that.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from someone from the support team.

-Sebastian

49 Replies 49

Alfonso C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm on Windows 10. Searching for dropbox, right click -> run as administrator solved it for me

xombie h.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm currently having this problem and neither running as administrator nor mucking in the registry fixed anything.

StevenSC
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here.

Checking / unchecking the box 'Start Dropbox on system startup' has absolutely no effect (i.e.neither creates new nor deletes existing startup command).

Also, startup command previously generated by this checkbox ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /systemstartup) causes Dropbox to startup then immediately terminate.

Problem solved by manually removing any existing startup command and creating a new startup command using same '/home' parameter used by Dropbox Start menu command

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home

or, on 32-bit systems,

"C:\Program Files\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /home

Hagen D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Open Task Manager (right-click Windows desktop shortcut bar or type Task Manager in Windows search).

Go to Start-up tab.

Find Dropbox. If status is Disabled, right-click and select Enable.

Dropbox will now start on Windows start-up.

André G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Had this problem, reinstalled. worked for a week, now it is not starting again.

My solution? sync . c  o m

Tired of services that do not offer support,. does not pay attention to common prolems and do not care about users.

blasda3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

JT100
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Had the same issue on a fresh win10 install, the compatibility fix worked for me, Thanks!!

resistance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks, "Run as admininstrator" worked for me. (Caveat:  I have not tried to reboot and see whether it starts automatically).

Details:

Windows 10

Error message on startup:  

See the logfile 'C:\Program Files (x86)\DropBox\Client\Dropbox.exe.log' for details

Uninstall / reinstall did not help.

Has been running fine on this computer for years.

Again, thanks for the run as administrator tip.

resistance
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Update:  "Run as administrator" manually did work, but regrettably,  it did not survive a reboot. 

Same error message.

Yes, I can "Run as administrator" manually again, but that is nto a viable long term solution.

I sent a request to DropBox support for more info.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey resistance

Thank you for getting in touch with us here!

Happy to help you with this. Can you please let me know your ticket ID, so that I follow-up on that? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?