cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app on Window 11 unable to connect to Internet, does not retain autostart or proxy setting

Dropbox app on Window 11 unable to connect to Internet, does not retain autostart or proxy setting

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

I just downloaded and installed the Dropbox app to my Win 11 Pro system, but it is unable to connect to the Internet.  I saw that some people were able to resolve this issue by turning off their proxy settings, so I tried that, quit the app, and restarted it, but the setting change I made does not stick.  The app reverts to "auto-detect" every time I restart it.  Incidentally, I also unchecked the box for autostarting with the computer, but that box also reverts to its default checked state ever time I quit the app and restart it.  (The setting changes are retained until I tell the app to quit--I checked that.)  Proxy is off in my OS settings, and automatically detect proxies is also off in my OS settings.  I have also tested the app on different wifi networks, some without firewall blocking, the native firewall is off on the computers I've used, and I have tested the app on systems with different antivirus apps, but I get the same result on every installation, every computer, every network, so I don't think it's a problem with firewall or wifi settings.

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @DBVWarchitects, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you attach a screenshot showing what you're currently experiencing on your device?

Were the other machines you tried also on Windows 11? 

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

This is what the app shows.  There's not much to see--the app is not finding whatever it needs on the Internet.

DBVWarchitects_0-1717685700446.png

I have tried this with both Windows 10 and Windows 11 systems--exactly the same results with all tests.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

You've mentioned using this on different machines. Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains

Are the different networks all using the same ISP by any chance?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

No proxies or VPN.  We do have a firewall, so I used (with permission) our neighbor's wifi for a test to eliminate our firewall as a factor, but had exactly the same experience on the neighbor's wifi.  We do share the same ISP--Cox Business, but they're a major provider, so I don't think they have some odd, obscure restriction that would block Dropbox.  We do of course have a router and security software, but I manage it and we do not block based on domain name.  I did temporarily drop all restrictions on my firewall, but that made no difference.  And, as I said, I tried a completely different network.  I have looked at that extremely long list of Dropbox domain names, and several of them do not even resolve to an IP address, no matter what device or network I use, including my cell phone using Verizon's data network, so I find the list to be frustrating and really not very helpful.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

What if I am on a Basic plan?  Is this experiment still worth trying?

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

I decided to try the procedure anyway, even though I have a Basic Dropbox account, and I am unable to delete folder C:\ProgramData\Dropbox because the user, which has local admin rights, does not have permission to delete the log file in the Update\Log subfolder.  I tried to take ownership, but it won't let me do that either.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, provided you don't have more than 3 devices connected, since there is a limit to the number of devices you can connect when using a Basic plan. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DBVWarchitects
Explorer | Level 3

Well right now none of my devices are connecting, but hypothetically, if there were already three devices connected somewhere, would the fourth and subsequent installations exhibit the symptoms I'm seeing; i.e., the app is unable to connect to the web?

Anyway, I did try the experiment (see my earlier post above), reinstalled the app, and still the same issue.  I tried three different networks, same result with all.  Windows 10 computer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    DBVWarchitects Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?