cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Guys, I've noticed a bug on Dropbox Client on Ubuntu 23.10 and the same occurs on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS after a installed it from scratch on my machine. It's really a bug on the app on desktop.

The problem is: the app on system tray doesnt open or show anything until the system is blocked to block screen and returns putting password. After that it works normally as it should. I recorded a short video showing the problem with you:

https://youtu.be/6a4cvtZsRWo

How can this issue be solved? Is this the right place to report it?

God bless you all!

Dropbox bug is showed where the icon tray doesn't work until the system is blocked and return from block screen putting password.
29 Replies 29

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

prapador if you do what I show on the video would the app show it's interface?

aristocles
Explorer | Level 4

I'm successfully using a workaround with Ubuntu 24.04 and the latest Dropbox version.

1) Create an executable file somewhere in your $HOME directory with these contents:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 5
/usr/bin/gnome-extensions disable ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com
/usr/bin/gnome-extensions enable ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com

As you can see, it simply restarts the appindicator extension (this is what happens whenever you lock and unlock your screen).

2) Make it executable, i.e.:  chmod +x $HOME/bin/restart-appindicator.sh

3) Create a new startup app in gnome with this data:

- Name: Restart appindicator

- Command: /home/myusername/bin/restart-appindicator.sh

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

aristocles, I'll try what you suggested. Seems a nice way to fix it at least while we're waiting for them to fix that for good.

strawberry-elephant
New member | Level 2

Same problem with my Ubuntu 24.04 as well.

```

$ dropbox version
Dropbox daemon version: 206.4.6506
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2019.02.14
```

FamGu
Explorer | Level 4

Unfotunately not. It is complete unpredictiable. Sometimes it is working, sometimes not. Also on the same machine with Ubuntu 24.04 - last patch-level...

fabd
New member | Level 2

Thank you aristocles!

I just installed 24.04.1,  tray icon would not open the settings - so I can confirm bug is present in .1 LTS release as well.

Restarting the app indicator fixed it! I needed this only once to set Selective Sync on this new install - so I'm not going to bother with setting up a script to run the fix on every boot - hopefully DROPBOX will fix this soon.

/usr/bin/gnome-extensions disable ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com
/usr/bin/gnome-extensions enable ubuntu-appindicators@ubuntu.com

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@fabd wrote:

Thank you aristocles!

... hopefully DROPBOX will fix this soon.

🙄 Hope is bliss 👼😉

FamGu
Explorer | Level 4

Well... sometimes does, sometimes not. Unfortunately, I don't know, if it is working, why it is working. So from my perspective, this is a non relyable option and the dropbox Team is still asked to support, please.

AlanJWoodward
New member | Level 2

This worked perfectly for me! Thank you @aristocles 

madmax12344
New member | Level 2

This has been a bug since the dawn of time and has been reported many times without a fix being issued. Locking the screen always makes the icon work again. Before that, it does not. 

Need more support?