cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Guys, I've noticed a bug on Dropbox Client on Ubuntu 23.10 and the same occurs on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS after a installed it from scratch on my machine. It's really a bug on the app on desktop.

The problem is: the app on system tray doesnt open or show anything until the system is blocked to block screen and returns putting password. After that it works normally as it should. I recorded a short video showing the problem with you:

https://youtu.be/6a4cvtZsRWo

How can this issue be solved? Is this the right place to report it?

God bless you all!

Dropbox bug is showed where the icon tray doesn't work until the system is blocked and return from block screen putting password.
29 Replies 29

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

That didn't solve for me, the command reports I have mismatched dependencies and this action breakes nautilus-dropbox, so the reinstalation doesn't continues.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @raulgrangeiro,

You don't have any issue with your 'dropbox' package, so don't even try to fix it; there is nothing to fix. Everything in the package is working, as seems. What doesn't work is the Dropbox daemon - something that is NOT part of any package! So any package reinstall is meaningless (or unlikely to solve something at least).

Hope this sheds a little light on the matter.

dhlocker
Explorer | Level 4

Well, the .deb I installed was https://linux.dropboxstatic.com/packages/ubuntu/dropbox_2024.04.17_amd64.deb Not sure why it thought it was nautilus-dropbox, but that's where I am.

FamGu
Explorer | Level 4

Dear all,

I proabably have an indicator to a solution.

I've installed Ubuntu LTS 24.04. and was frustrated to see, that Dropbox is not reacting. Although I was connected with my login. No Window to open at all.

But now - after connecting here with my account - I can open the window and select, which folders I want to sync, where dropbox should sync to and so on.

May I ask you to check, if someone else observe something similar?

@Megan: As I wrote - maybe an indicator to a final solution, if you share this with your developers?

Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

Best

Steffen

Update: 
I've just tried it on another compter - also Ubuntu 24.04 installed.
There I do not have access to the client, even if I am logged in the community.
So questionsmarks again on my side.

Both machines uses Browsers, based on the Chrome-Engine and both have the latest patch-level...

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Friend, as I showed on the video, if you lock your screen and return, does it open?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

I don't use your desktop setup @raulgrangeiro  and don't have the same issue, but in general Dropbox application (rather the daemon - the actual executable) doesn't work stable. This is not something new and often different people report different strange things appearing (sometime things disappearing). I have also issue with my Dropbox menu (no any submenu appears) and reported it multiple times - no any reaction ðŸ¤¦ - Dropbox Linux application is not "first class citizen" here 🤷, unfortunately. Better don't rely that something will be changed. In your case the menu comes back at least after your trick. 😉

Have a nice day.

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

That's a sad thing to hear. I didn't know this was the condition of the app.

gabby suwichaya
New member | Level 2

That is actually working !! ....
Step 0: quit the Dropbox if it is on...
Step 1. Reinstall that nautilus-dropbox ==> `sudo apt --reinstall install nautilus-dropbox`

Step 2. Following the instruction that say you have to run `nautilus --quit`

Step 3. Lock the screen and log-in again .... Then, magic happens

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Doing this the app always shows its interface without the need to block the screen?

prapador
Explorer | Level 3

Same behavior after a clean installation of Ubuntu 24.04. The installation seems correct, but then the Dropbox interface does not respond; the tray icon freezes, and no settings can be accessed."

Need more support?