cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

Dropbox Client for Linux on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS- icon not clickable.

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Guys, I've noticed a bug on Dropbox Client on Ubuntu 23.10 and the same occurs on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS after a installed it from scratch on my machine. It's really a bug on the app on desktop.

The problem is: the app on system tray doesnt open or show anything until the system is blocked to block screen and returns putting password. After that it works normally as it should. I recorded a short video showing the problem with you:

https://youtu.be/6a4cvtZsRWo

How can this issue be solved? Is this the right place to report it?

God bless you all!

Dropbox bug is showed where the icon tray doesn't work until the system is blocked and return from block screen putting password.
29 Replies 29

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @raulgrangeiro, welcome to our Community! 

Thanks for the video, and all the added info. When did this start happening on your end? 

Do you notice the same behavior on both of your devices I'm assuming, right? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Hi, Megan,

I've being using Ubuntu since version 23.10 at Febuary 2024, and it's happening since then.

Yes, I noticed this behavior on both machines.

The machine where I recorded the video has the following hardware:

Notebook: Acer A515-45-R6BL

Desktop Enviroment: Gnome Shell 46 on Wayland

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U

GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 20 GB DDR4 3200MHz

SSD: WD SN530 512GB M.2

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

I've received an update for the daemon, the version 204.4.5420 is now installed, but the problem persists.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi @raulgrangeiro,

Thanks for reporting this. I've checked with our engineering team, who is currently looking into why the desktop tray icon in Linux is unresponsive. I'll let you know when I have an update!

Ben

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the reply, BenDBX. I'll be waiting for it.

God bless you!

porcupinebrux
New member | Level 2

In the meantime, is there a way to access the Dropbox Preferences? E.g. via the command line?

raulgrangeiro
Helpful | Level 6

Friend, I know these commands work with dropbx:

Captura de tela de 2024-07-29 09-04-41.png

The help says that specific commands can have option, so you can see them using:

$ dropbox help <the_command_you_want>.

dhlocker
Explorer | Level 4

I don't know if it's a stable solution (will it survive a reboot??), but a recommendation in this thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2498274 worked for me (after fixing a typo).

sudo apt --reinstall nautilus-dropbox 

worked perfectly.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @dhlocker,

It's fine that it's working for you. One problem less. 😉

You cannot rely that it's a stable solution though. Actually you cannot rely that it's a solution at all!

'nautilus-dropbox' is deprecated package and only a metapackage. The only thing it does is dependency of (link in fact to) the actual packet - named 'dropbox'. That's it - nothing more. It's known that there is lot of imperfections in Dropbox application and it sometimes work in inconsistent way. Some negligible changes (or changes that should be negligible at least) very often change the application behavior, unfortunately. The mentioned command cannot do anything since its object is empty package; in 'nautilus-dropbox' is no any real content. That's why as this package' description, Dropbox set "This is a transitional dummy package. It can safely be removed.". So, better uninstall it completely and let only the installed already 'dropbox' package (that keeps the actual content).

Good luck to all of us and let's hope Dropbox development will get to better coding style (at some future point).

Need more support?