cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Android app not updating Word files

Dropbox Android app not updating Word files

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I posted this before, but can't find it.

Dropbox android app not showing changes to my files. When I open the file with the word app, the changes appear, but if, I dont, I'm reading old versions. Sometimes, only, when I edit the file in word, and then go to Dropbox and open the file, I get a note saying this file has changed, refresh, but even when I do, the changes don't appear in the file in dropbox. Coincidentally or not, now when I open a Dropbox file in word, the title appears in word with numbers and percentage signs mixed in, specifically %2025. Thanks for your help.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
Yes. And now I've also figured out that by closing the open Dropbox app in 'open apps' and then reopening dropbox, the updated file appears. Thx.

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dluptonmd , thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Would you mind sending over a couple of screenshots showing how the file appears in Dropbox in comparison to the Word app?

And can you also clear the cache of the app, from the app's settings, to see if that helps?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I replied to your email with screenshots as I don't see how I could attach a screenshot here? Is there a way? I've cleared caches both apps and uninstalled and reinstalled both. The title in Word appears as AAAA20%DOCUMENT and in Dropbox it appears as AAAADOCUMENT. Thanks.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I haven't actually sent you an email, @dluptonmd

Did you reach out to our support team about this maybe?

If so, can you send me the ticket number of the communication, so I can look it up?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
You did, or how could I have replied to the email? I originally posted
a question/problem in the community. I'm replying and posting this, but just in case, my username is davidupton. Can you check the original post for my description of the problem?? Thanks.

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
User name is dluptonmd.Thx.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dluptonmd , I have access to the entire thread, but I never sent you an email. 

Did you perhaps reply to the email notification about my reply here on the Community?

I wouldn't have received your email reply, if that's the case.

Would you mind attaching the screenshots here? You should be able to see a little camera icon right above the reply box.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
I don't see it on my phone, at least. Anyway,
I can't send a screenshot of any content, all of which is personal.

The real issue is that when I edit a Dropbox file with word, and save, the Dropbox file on the app does not show updates. If I reopen the file from Dropbox, it appears in word with the updates, so that's good. But the situation makes reviewing/reading files in Dropbox impossible, because you're reading an old version.

Now, when I turn off and restart the phone it seems like all the Dropbox files get updated, and most recent versions are there.

Also when I edit a Dropbox file with word on phone, while Dropbox shows the old version, when I go to my computer and look at the Dropbox file there, the most recent version appears. Thx.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It's possible that the Word app on your device is showing a cached older version of the file itself, and isn't updating to show the newer version. Could you try uninstalling Word and reinstalling it on your device?

Also, if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the Dropbox app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dluptonmd
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution
The word app shows the most recent version of a file always. It is the Dropbox app that does not reflect changes made to the doc in word until I turn off the phone and turn it back on. That somehow allows Dropbox to access and update/reflect the most current version of the file. And I have already uninstalled and reinstalled both apps. That didn't help. And I have signed in and out of both apps multiple times, cleared caches, and force stopped. Thx
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    dluptonmd Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?