cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app stopped working on Windows Server 2016 "Couldn't install the desktop app ..."

Desktop app stopped working on Windows Server 2016 "Couldn't install the desktop app ..."

petlinx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been running the Dropbox desktop app on Windows Server 2016 for a couple years, today the application stopped and the Sign In window appeared. When I sign in, I'm able to sign in successfully however when the program tries to launch I get the error "Couldn't install the desktop app on the operating system you're using":

petlinx_0-1725933749166.png

Trying to sign in again just repeats the loop. Anyone have any idea what is happening and how to resolve this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

petlinx
New member | Level 2
Found the issue, for some reason it was running in compatibility mode. Right clicked the exe and unchecked compatibility then it started working again.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@petlinx wrote:

I've been running the Dropbox desktop app on Windows Server 2016 ... I get the error "Couldn't install the desktop app on the operating system you're using"

Dropbox doesn't support Windows Server operating systems.

petlinx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich, I know Dropbox doesnt support Windows Server but it was working fine for years then stopped all of the sudden. 

petlinx
New member | Level 2
Found the issue, for some reason it was running in compatibility mode. Right clicked the exe and unchecked compatibility then it started working again.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

petlinx New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?