cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open Dropbox folder with Explorer (Windows 10)

Can't open Dropbox folder with Explorer (Windows 10)

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

I have been using DB for several years without problem. Today I find I cannot open folders in my Dropbox folder on my C: drive with Explorer. I can see them if I use the web app. I have rebooted and reinstalled the program, to no avail. If I click on it, I get the hourglass, which will not stop unless I forcibly close it with Task Manager. Any ideas? Rather desperate here. I do have another Dropbox account through my institution, but it does not reference this folder.

19 Replies 19

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @topoloco2000, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of any error you might be getting and another one of the app's exact status and version as shown in your system tray at the moment? 

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for responding. I don't have any error messages - as I indicated, the system just hangs when I try to open a folder within the overal \Dropbox folder using Explorer. Not sure you mean by a screen shot of the system tray. The version I am running is 176.4.5108.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @topoloco2000! Hope you're doing great. 

Can you let me know what's the current syncing status of your Dropbox app? You can also check this by hovering over the small Dropbox icon in your system tray. 

Did you have any updates on your device/Dropbox app, right before this issue started? 

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Nancy; Still very frustrated. I am referring to my Dropbox installation on my laptop, Windows 10. Still same problem. I can open the c:\(user)\Dropbox folder (but it takes a long time) and can see the folders with it. But I cannot open any of them by clicking on the folder (I am referring to Windows Explorer, not opening dropbox with my browser).

Hovering over the icon says nothing except that it is Dropbox. What specifically are you looking for?

As I said earlier, this does not result in a system error, rather Explorer just hangs (hourglass icon goes on and on).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @topoloco2000, sorry to jump in, but could you update to the latest version of the app from this page and let us know how it goes?

If the issue persists, could you try replicating it with our desktop app completely closed? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

Installed the new version, same problem (see below). Restarted to close Dropbox, same problem. However, I tried a copy of a folder in \Dropbox using Powershell and it worked OK (copy c:\Users\WMR\Dropbox\Rebecca\*.pdf g:\rebecca\). Is there a Dropbox cache or something that I should clear out in my \Apps folder? I don't want to experiment without knowing which ones to delete.

Here is what I get when I try to open the Dropbox folder:

topoloco2000_0-1687951265429.png

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

I uninstalled Dropbox and then deleted the remaining /App Dropbox folders. That allowed me to access my Dropbox folders on my hard disk. Then reinstalled Dropbox. Seems to be working. Seems like this should be a first suggestion to users with this problem.

topoloco2000
Explorer | Level 4

I spoke to soon. After reinstalling Dropbox, the problem returned and I cannot access my disk Dropbox folder, except as above (with Powershell).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Could you send us a screenshot of the app's current status as shown in your system tray at the moment @topoloco2000?

As for your cache folder, you can take a look here.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    topoloco2000 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?