cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I back up a partitioned disk?

Can I back up a partitioned disk?

Laia IA
Explorer | Level 4

Hello !
I wanted to make a backup of some folders I have on a partitioned drive on my PC. The problem is that in the Backup Dropbox Beta configuration it only shows me folders on the C:/ drive.
My dropbox is also on another drive that is not C.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thank you very much for any answer!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

So, if I understand correctly, you want a second backup of the folders that are already synced to Dropbox, right?

In that case, that's not possible, as the folders you have synced to your account are already synced with the Dropbox servers; they're already "backed up" since they're available on dropbox.com.

You'd have to create a manual copy and upload it to your account, but that would also mean double the space taken up in your account.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Laia IA, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Dropbox detects each partition on a computer as an individual drive, however, you can only back up files that are on the same drive as your Dropbox, which you're saying is not what you're seeing.

How did you move the Dropbox folder to that other drive? Through the Dropbox app preferences or manually?

Thanks.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Laia IA
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah, 

thanks so much for your quick answer. I have moved my Dropbox with the Dropbox preferences settings to the drive D:/ :

LaiaIA_0-1704964858711.png

The files I want to back up are on the same drive (D:)

When I try to configure the path of the files I want to secure in the back up it only gives me the option of C drive locations:

LaiaIA_1-1704965091078.png

another question, is it not possible to back up an entire folder?

Thank you so much again

Laia

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info and screenshots, Laia!

I've looked a bit further into this and wanted to kind of correct my previous statement; with the Dropbox backup feature you can only back up files and folders from the hard drive with the Dropbox desktop app on it (usually the drive where your operating system is installed).

Basically, the drive where the app installed, not where the Dropbox folder is located, so what you're seeing is expected behavior.

As for your question about backing up an entire folder, can you please clarify a bit more?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Laia IA
Explorer | Level 4

aaahm, I understand.

Thank you!

that means that I can't copy the files I want to...
Actually what I want is a full backcup of all my Dropbox content that I have on my PC synchronised. I want a backup that is only available online. To avoid my mistakes of accidentally deleting folders or files... I have a backup on an external hard drive but I also wanted this online backup (just in case).

would this be possible with dropbox?

thank you I really appreciate your answers.

Laia

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to clarify, Laia!

So, if you're using the Dropbox desktop app, but you want your files accessible only online and not from your PC, I guess I would suggest selective sync.

With that feature, you can choose which folders appear in your Dropbox folder and have the rest only available on dropbox.com.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Laia IA
Explorer | Level 4

I think I can make myself clearer with this diagram:

LaiaIA_1-1704984032231.png

I already have folders with different sync settings. I just need a backup of the synchronised folders between my PC and the dropbox server. Is it possible to automate this with the Dropbox Backup Beta application? Or do I have to make a manual copy on the server?

thanks si so much again Hannah

Regards

Laia

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

So, if I understand correctly, you want a second backup of the folders that are already synced to Dropbox, right?

In that case, that's not possible, as the folders you have synced to your account are already synced with the Dropbox servers; they're already "backed up" since they're available on dropbox.com.

You'd have to create a manual copy and upload it to your account, but that would also mean double the space taken up in your account.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Laia IA
Explorer | Level 4

Yes. That is exactly what I want.

Than I will make it manual.

Thank you soo much Hannah!

ClaudioCreativo
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah, I had a very similar problem, however I am no satisfied with the outcome of this blog. I want to backup the data on D:/ (this is not a flash drive, but just a partition).
I can't see any option that will allow me to select whichever folder I want to backup, but only those few that also Laia showed you.
Are you saying that Dropbox can only backup folders in the HDD where it's installed to?
In my case I could uninstall Dropbox and I will try to install it on D:/, however this 'feature' does not make any sense to me and it's very much limiting the opportunity to be agile and backup any folder connected to the computer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    ClaudioCreativo New member | Level 2
    Laia IA Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?