cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

AirDrop broken on MacOS Ventura

Styline
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm using MacOS Ventura and I can't receive files via AirDrop anymore.

My Downloads folder is inside my Dropbox as I'm using Dropbox Backup, so it is all inside the Cloud Library now. The Spotlight Search is broken and now also I can't receive airdropped files anymore. They are sending but afterwards they are just nowhere to be found on the hard-drive. It's quite the mess.

@DropboxTeam: It would be highly appreciated if you can expedite looking into resolving the issues on Ventura!

98 Replies 98

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @drummer_yunchung, welcome to our Community! 

Can you try to disable your Computer Backup using your Backup page online, and see how things escalate from there? 

Let me know of any updates! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

csmaccath
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've just found this thread after an extensive search of the Internet to find out why 1) AirDrop wasn't working and 2) Finder was sometimes (but not always) offering a warning prompt that my files would be deleted permanently when I sent them to the Trash from the Downloads folder. I have an Apple M2 Max running Ventura 13.5. Disabling the Downloads and Desktop folders from my Dropbox Mac Backup appears to have fixed the problem. However, like other customers here, I am altogether unimpressed with having to disable a feature to stop Dropbox from interfering with the proper operation of my Mac OS. I pay far too much money for this service and entrust far too much data to it for that to be the only answer your engineers have given customers for the last seven months. Do you know when Dropbox will have a legitimate software solution in place? I'm not prepared to renew my subscription if this is the future of the service.

MGNP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello! I've been facing this issue for months. The problem was resolved by disabling the Downloads folder from my Dropbox Mac Backup. However, when I re-enabled the Downloads folder, the problem reappeared. It's incredibly frustrating to have to choose between utilizing a fundamental feature of my Mac, such as AirDrop, and making use of a Dropbox functionality that I'm actually paying for. Are there any updates on fixes?

Ovi A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The fact that no one from Dropbox can answer the last two questions tells you everything. Dropbox is valued at $10 Billion, but none of your engineers can fix this? It's unacceptable. 

jkrussell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, Jay. I can also confirm that this solved the exact same problem for me.

David B.191
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My setup was the same as the OP's, and I was seeing EXACTLY the same symptoms as the OP describes in the response to "tell us what happens" from Dropbox staffer Jay. After many attempts and much frustration, I discovered that I need to launch the AirDrop app on my MBP before sharing the file from my iPhone; if I do that, the transfer works perfectly.

Ovi A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Airdrop app? There is no Airdrop "app". Airdrop is just a function on Apple devices.

Ovi A.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Okay, I see what you mean @David B.191. The fact that we get this answer from you and not from Dropbox staff is very troubling.

For those who don't know or are confused. For some reason, you have to select "AirDrop" in the "Favorites" menu, typically on the left side of the Finder window. Once you've selected the AirDrop menu, you'll see the AirDrop icon (like radio waves) on the Finder window like the picture below. This allows you to AirDrop files without having to disable the syncing with the "Downloads" folder. What a relief.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 00.10.43.png 

David B.191
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You can *say* AirDrop isn't an app, but I launch it from the Alfred alternative to Spotlight, just as I can launch any other app on my MBP.

(Yes, I'm aware that Launchpad and the Applications folder don't contain anything called AirDrop Utility.app, but it isn't a function IMO if you have to launch it to get it to work.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

David B.191 Helpful | Level 5
    Ovi A.1 Helpful | Level 5
    jkrussell New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?