cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: After upgrading to Ventura, cannot start dropbox app

After upgrading to Ventura, cannot start dropbox app

pizzadoh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, my dropbox app was working beforehand. I recently uggraded to Mac OS Ventura but now it's not working or syncing. I'm getting the error message "couldn't start dropbox" or sync. So I did the advanced reinstall (ran the terminal etc) and I'm still getting the same error message.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 160.4.4703
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 56
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 59c044c0-94d9-5385-9432-434809bbf24f
pid: 1004
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lt81878', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='lt81878', pw_dir='/Users/lt81878', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lt81878', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='lt81878', pw_dir='/Users/lt81878', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/lt81878'
appdata: '/Users/lt81878/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/lt81878/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/lt81878/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/lt81878/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5323, in _setup_root_for_account
File "dropbox/sync_root/helpers.pyc", line 420, in get_root_for_account
File "dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.pyc", line 853, in result
File "dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.pyc", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2002] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2002 "The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched., NSLocalizedDescription=The application cannot be used from this location., NSURL=file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/}

106 Replies 106

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the ticket ID @Chris E.8

I was able to locate it and passed your comments on to the expert who's handling your case.

They should be getting back to you soon, but please let us know if you have anything else to add in the meantime. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

simonlloyd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Nancy

That seems to have done the trick

BW

Simon

Bonker
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there. Having the same issue and receiving the same error message. Thank you for your help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Bonker, have you updated the Dropbox app to the latest version, to see if that helps, like it did with other users?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jwarf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have tried all the new links for dropbox downloads that you have given, they don't work for me.  For what it is worth, if I used a different (TEST) user on my mac, I can successfully download and open the app, but not if I use my user account which is where have used the dropbox app in the past and where I need to work.

Bonker
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, unfortunately it doesn't help. I still get the same error message (in French in this case - see enclosure) and the same error log file.

Regards

Capture d’écran 2023-03-06 à 16.08.28.png

Chris E.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What's a reasonable amount of time to wait for the Support team to respond by email after feeding back that their first proposed fix didn't work?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Chris E.8, as the team doesn't work on weekends, it would take at least a full 24 business hours for a reply, depending on your current plan.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Chris E.8
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's now been two working days since I replied to the support email team and I've heard... nothing. Paying subscriber for over a decade, I don't know what that's worth, but I'm starting to find out.

To anybody else reading this and looking for answers, I would strongly suggest researching alternative cloud services. Problems can happen with any organization, it's how the company responds that shows how seriously it takes its customers.

There are better options out there.

Eranjes
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Dropbox Team, hey community:

This is from an open support ticket I am working on with the Support. I guess a lot of people have similar problems after updating the software and experiencing the same errors as I did. Prior to that I already did the following attempts to solve the problems in dialog with the customer support team
- Restarted the Computer
- Restarted the Dropbox App
- Reinstalled the Dropbox App from scratch

I am running a brand new Apple Macbook Pro with M2 Pro and 1 TB internal SSD. I have currently over 800.000 Files in my dropbox which is for me currently completely unusable. 

My Issues and Solutions I would expect:

1. Problem:

On first, blank installation Dropbox desktop will try to download the whole dropbox content. Yes, it gives me the Indication that I can choose which folders I want to see on my machine and which not, but nothing about the location change to cloud storage directory later on. In my case, it then proceeds to download around 800.000 Files which takes up to 16 Hours. After completion it then will give me an alert in the app saying that everything needs to be moved to the new directory - OK. It then moves the whole Dropbox over to the new library/CloudStorage - Here it would be helpful to have at least some progress bar and not only a moving Icon on the Button. Looks stuck, bad UX. After completion it then tries to re-index all files which will take again like 16-20 hours. After that it is not able to sync properly.

Workaround I found:
When I first only choose one little file to be synced on startup I will get way faster to moving everything to the new directory. After moving this one small file I can then move on to syncing all the files with selective sync and everything will be set up directly in the new cloud storage. Saved me around 20-30 Hours of waiting.

Solution - How it should be:
I would expect Dropbox on a blank install directly setting up everything in library/CloudStorage which will save a lot of time and also get around a lot of communicative problems prior to the setup.

————————

2. Problem
After everything is set up in library/CloudStorage Dropbox will not indicate any icons next to filenames as expected from the user. Only thing that can be seen is the apple cloud icon. Here the next problems begin. It now looks like everything is no locally on my machine but turns out it is not. What I would like to understand: It downloads hours and hours for 800.000 Files but in the end still nothing is there really - Weird. In the Desktop App it gives indication of downloading like „800.000 files synchronizing“ and „96,5 GB“ so it seems to be doing something here. The Online Only / Local Storage Setting that is sometimes asked to be changed in the settings is not there for me in the current version of the dropbox app. Only the Directory Selection which will then download directories but still no files on the local machine. Screenshot attached.

Workaround I found - somehow because it really is not:

I need to click on the cloud Icons - yes, on each file again - to really get them downloaded on my machine. For 800.000 files. This is really no acceptable workaround in any case.
Then - in some random cases the dropbox sync items will appear and dropbox will indicate small numbers of files getting synced again.

Solution - How it should be
The Implementation of the File Provider API is faulty. There is no other way to describe this, this needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY. Also I would expect from the Dropbox desktop app to guide me through the new icons from apple File Provider API. Maybe it would be better to not have the dropbox icons any longer as they tell an incorrect status about the files shown. If the cloud icons from Apple are now recommended - then just use them and tell the users. Simple as that.

————————

3. Problem
The syncing is only working for downloading files but not for uploading in v168.4.4802. Period. I have no control what so ever.

Workaround I found:
None.

Solution - How it should be:
Again completely faulty implementation, this needs to be fixed IMMEDIATELY.

I hope that this will be transferred to the right People, if this will not get fixed there will be no other way for me than to cancel subscription after more than 5 years. I like dropbox but in this case this is a total showstopper for me. Please keep me and also the other Mac users updated on this topic otherwise you will see a lot of Mac users cancelling their accounts. We know it is not totally your fault but still you are a paid service and if something is absolutely not working then this needs to be highly prioritized and clearly communicated to not loose trust of the customers.

Greetings from Germany,

Eric

Need more support?