cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: After upgrading to Ventura, cannot start dropbox app

After upgrading to Ventura, cannot start dropbox app

pizzadoh
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, my dropbox app was working beforehand. I recently uggraded to Mac OS Ventura but now it's not working or syncing. I'm getting the error message "couldn't start dropbox" or sync. So I did the advanced reinstall (ran the terminal etc) and I'm still getting the same error message.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 160.4.4703
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 56
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 59c044c0-94d9-5385-9432-434809bbf24f
pid: 1004
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lt81878', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='lt81878', pw_dir='/Users/lt81878', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='lt81878', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='lt81878', pw_dir='/Users/lt81878', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', '_nsurlstoraged'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/lt81878'
appdata: '/Users/lt81878/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/lt81878/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/lt81878/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/lt81878/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5323, in _setup_root_for_account
File "dropbox/sync_root/helpers.pyc", line 420, in get_root_for_account
File "dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.pyc", line 853, in result
File "dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.pyc", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2002] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2002 "The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched., NSLocalizedDescription=The application cannot be used from this location., NSURL=file:///private/var/folders/2d/wtynny5523qb4ckzmfkl02280000gn/T/AppTranslocation/A1B9BF75-49E8-4FD0-A0CB-58FE00037B0C/d/Dropbox.app/}

106 Replies 106

Plumspot
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is there a fix yet? The dropbox app will not launch, Ventura 13.2. I refuse to try a reinstall as it will take 2 day to sync up again. Bogus.

elizeufreitas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello friend.

Unfortunately, after several tests I did, the only alternative I found was to delete the aforementioned folders and reinstall, thus correcting the permissions.

Here is a link where my suggestion was accepted as a solution.

If it helped you, leave a Like. 🙂

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Moving-Dropbox-folder-from-Library-CloudStora...

elizeufreitas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You will not need to re-synchronize your files.

Let's assume you have your huge Dropbox folder stored on an external drive and it is accessible at /Volumes/External/Dropbox. You can replace that location with the actual location of your folder for the remainder of these instructions. It will work just fine.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
I assume your Dropbox folder is located on an external drive that can be accessed at /Volumes/External/Dropbox. You should substitute that folder with the actual location of your Dropbox folder as you go through this guide.

If you have not already done so, make sure you quit Dropbox before you begin!

Open a Terminal window
In the Terminal, type

sudo rm ~/Library/Dropbox && ~/Library/.dropbox

Enter your Mac's password when prompted. You will not get any visual feedback while you are entering the password
Run Dropbox. It will think it's the first time you run it. Go through the setup.
As the last step of the setup, you will be asked to choose what files and folders in your Dropbox account you want to keep a local copy of. Select them all. Complete the setup.
As soon as Dropbox loads, quit the app.
Now go back to the Terminal:

sudo rm ~/Library/Dropbox && ln -s /Volumes/External/Dropbox ~/Library/Dropbox​

To verify everything is good:

ls -al ~/Library/Dropbox​

You should see a listing of all the files located at /Volumes/External/Dropbox If you don't, go back to step 2.
OPTIONAL: Install macFuse https://osxfuse.github.io/
Now start Dropbox. You are DONE!

Credits: @mrforged 

simonlloyd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have just updated my Mac operating system to Ventura and I can no longer open my Dropbox. Please could you help me correct this.

Thanks

BW

Simon

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @simonlloyd, welcome to our Community! 

Could you let me know more about this? What happens when you try to open Dropbox? 

Do you notice an error when trying to open your app? If so, feel free to attach it to your next response.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

janieva
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same issue. My files won't sync and I don't have an easy way either to get to the file online. Nothing seem like before. 

Thank in advance. 

Janie

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @janieva, thanks for the nudge here and sorry to see you're having trouble.

Are you also getting a 'couldn't start Dropbox' error message?

If so, can you click on the blue hyperlink on the error, to see the full error log and send us a screenshot?

Also, you mentioned that you're having trouble getting to your files online, are you referring to our website?

Are you having an issue there as well? Any additional info would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

janieva
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, 

I don't get any message error. Though, I can't open the dropbox app on my mac upgraded with ventura. I don't know when my docs will sync. This afternoon, I could see on my dropbox account online that the doc I added this morning had finally synch, but I have no way to know if my files are synchronized or not. I made a test, uploading a new doc in my file, I went online to reload the page again and again, and 10 minutes later, and it had not synchronized yet. 

Previously, I could see an icon telling me if the doc was synch. Also, with a right click, I could go to dropbox online directly to this file. I don't have this option anymore. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see, thanks for the update, Janie.

If you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, what's the version and sync status of the app?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

janieva
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The icon does not appear any more in my menu bar. And when i search in my application, I can find the app but it wont open. I tried to upgrade it but did not find how, dit not find the same app neither in app store. 

The version is  92.4.382. 

Thanks a lot 

Need more support?