cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

syncing throttled???

syncing throttled???

me123451
New member | Level 2

I'm trying to sync 100s of GB of files to my hard drive using the Dropbox app, and I consistently get 0.0 kb/s download speeds. That jumps occasionally, but only for a few seconds at a time. Is Dropbox preventing me from downloading my files using the app? This is a problem, because I can't download folders that are more than 20 GB.

Seriously considering canceling my account if this isn't solved...

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@me123451 wrote:

Is Dropbox preventing me from downloading my files using the app?

Of course not, and Dropbox does not throttle your connection unless told to. Make sure you've set your bandwidth settings to Don't limit in Dropbox Preferences. Sometime it helps to instead set a limit but set it high, like to that of the speed your ISP gives you.

Mine are set to Don't limit for downloads and Limit automatically for uploads, and I never have a problem with my speeds.

me123451
New member | Level 2
Yep, tried both of those settings, restarted and tried changing the location of the drive. Still slow. I’ll let it sit for a few more days and see what happens.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @me123451, wishing you a great Monday! 

Just jumping in here to check if syncing has improved ever since the post. 

If not, can you let me know the status of the desktop app?  If I were you, I'd also take a look into this Help Center article. 

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

themixnerd
Explorer | Level 3

It's throttled for sure.  I'm trying to download a file that's 90 GB and if I do it through the app it estimates 2+days and I've had the file running for nearly an hour.  I got fed up and moved to the website.  It'll take 12 minutes to download.  Annoying.  Otherwise I never have to wait for large folders with smaller files.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

themixnerd Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    me123451 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?