cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue circle syncing icon not showing

blue circle syncing icon not showing

Ripples88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The blue circle icon that indicates my file is syncing doesn't display at all in the Dropbox desktop app.  The green sync completed icons do appear, however.   

I tried uploading a 1.5Mb file.  Dropbox indicates that it will take one hour to upload and sync.  

To test whether upload/syncing is working at all, I tried uploading a 17Kb file.  It was fine.

Since I had experienced very slow upload/syncing speeds a few days ago, I had done the following:

1. Reinstalled Dropbox.

2. Ensured that the Bandwidth preferences, Upload Rate is set to Don't Limit.

I also re-tried uploading the file via the Dropbox web site.  The blue circle sync icon does display in the web site version.  The View Details of the file sync keeps showing varying time durations of how long the upload will take as well as what percentage of the file has been uploaded.  The file got to 50 per cent uploaded and showed that it would take less than 10 seconds left to complete uploading.  Now the file has gone back to 25 percent uploaded and has 9 minutes left.  

Interestingly, it only took less than 1 minute to upload the same file into Google Drive.

I am running Windows 10.  Using Dropbox version 44.4.58

Please help me figure out why blue circle syncing icon doesn't display in the Dropbox desktop app for Windows 10.

24 Replies 24

rishi1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I uninstalled and reinstalled again today. But its the same. Windows 8

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @rishi1

Were you able to verify that the Windows UAC levels are set to default levels before uninstalling and reinstalling, as I mention in my previous post

If you did, and you’re still experiencing this behavior, have you submitted a request to our Support team?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rishi1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes all in default.

Just reinstalled but the icons are still not appearing.

Submitting a request to the support team means I have to explain all these steps all over again with screen shots??? Ive spent a few hours on this forum already explaining and trying to sort this issue out. I really don't have any more time to explain the same thing to someone else over again.

I'd rather move to another cloud storage.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the swift reply, @rishi1

You wouldn’t have to explain it all, as I’ve gone ahead and sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile so as to further investigate on the matter. Please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jrh1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem of missing blue Dropbox sync icons in Windows. Here's what fixed it for me:

Step 1: uninstall OneDrive

Step 2: restart Windows Explorer

Other sync apps could also affect it. Windows has a strict limit on the number of overlays that programs like Dropbox and OneDrive can use (max 15 overlay icons shared among all). For me, the blue Dropbox sync icons returned after I uninstalled OneDrive and restarted Explorer.exe.

Advanced users can open regedit and go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers
and count the number of items to see if they exceed the overlay icons limit of 15, and to see which applications are using those slots.

I know this thread is dated, but hopefully this response will help someone. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jrh1 New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    rishi1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?