cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Vault will not re-open after timeout

Vault will not re-open after timeout

VillaTerrazza
Explorer | Level 4

When i open the vault, contents show just fine. After 10 minutes, Dropbix prompts a message that the vault needs the PIN re-entered to keep syncing. But when the PIN is entered, DROPBOX will never reconnect the vault.  We get a message 'Something went wrong, please try again later'. (Lame useless messsage - how about an error code?)  Then if we keep workiing with the files, we get 'Corrupted' copies because it couldnt save. Really a pain!

After this failure, if I click something in the vault folder, it simply disappears.  I can't be the only one experiencing this!

Windows 10/Pro 

This has been happening for well over a year. Why don't you guys fix it?

Actually, i would prefer the dialog ASK me how long i would like the vault to stay open for... 

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @VillaTerrazza - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you maybe send us a screenshot of the error you get, and clarify the version of the Dropbox desktop app that's installed on the affected device?

Also, have you tried reaching out to our support team directly for further assistance since you first noticed this behavior?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

VillaTerrazza
Explorer | Level 4

hi walter.

ok, i set up a controlled test:

Opened a word document.

saved it to Dropbox Vault.

made a subsequent change to it, but didnt save it. 

Approx 20 min later, Dropboix popped a dialog asking me to re-enter my vault password, which i did. It gave the same useless error message.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 231805.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 231825.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 231843.png

Dropbox windows client version: v205.4.5765

We have Dropbox Plus(2 Tb, of which i'm using 2% of total available storage.

Windows Version: Windows 11. Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3880)

Connected to a wired ethernet  (not WiFi)

Thats all the info i have. 

VillaTerrazza
Explorer | Level 4

i should point out that after this error occues, the vault's behavior is illogical. All the files/folders show up in File Explorer, but when you click them, they disappear. (It was very upsetting the first time it hScreenshot 2024-08-08 234102.pngScreenshot 2024-08-08 234311.pngappened; once i realized they really were not deleting, it was simply just lame. (I used to be a programmer).  If i try to save the file again, then Dropbox very unhelpfully creates a Vault (Conflicts) with the latest version of the file (not behind the vault password-protected wall.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all the additional information and the screenshots too @VillaTerrazza - much appreciated.

At this point, I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team directly for further assistance with account and device specific information.

Let us know of any updates! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

paul stuart
New member | Level 2

I too have the same issue. Has there been a result yet?

The vault should be able to stay open for as long as you like as this closing is really sucks.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@paul stuart, the PIN is required as an extra security measure, as the Vault usually contains sensitive documents. However, I’ve passed your feedback to our team, as I understand why this could pose an issue.

Are you seeing the same error as the OP just on your desktop app or all Dropbox platforms? Can you send me a few more details on your setup?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?