cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The photos in my mobile app are all over the place, and I am not sure how to organize them.

The photos in my mobile app are all over the place, and I am not sure how to organize them.

robertvitek
Explorer | Level 3

Thought I would give Dropbox a try; so far, I am very frustrated in trying to get my photos to display in the order that I want them to.  I have two folders, but for this conversation I will concentrate on one folder.  I uploaded approximately 50 photos all at the same time on my computer.  When I went to the app on my phone, the photos are all over the place, displaying by various months, in between the photos from my other Dropbox folder.  After deleting the photos in Dropbox, I edited them in Photoshop plus resized them, thinking that this would assign them to one month, so they would be altogether.  After uploading them again, they were still displaying all over the place.   How do I get the photos to display all together? 

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @robertvitek, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned that this behavior happens when you try to preview content from the Dropbox app on your mobile, right? 

Do you try to preview your content using the Files tab or the Photos tab? If you have any screenshots feel free to send them over, in order for me to have a visual of your content when you're using the mobile app, and what you see locally on the device.

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

robertvitek
Explorer | Level 3

I received the following response from Megan:

Hey @robertvitek, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned that this behavior happens when you try to preview content from the Dropbox app on your mobile, right? 

Do you try to preview your content using the Files tab or the Photos tab? If you have any screenshots feel free to send them over, in order for me to have a visual of your content when you're using the mobile app, and what you see locally on the device.

Let me know more! 

********************************************************************************

(When I attempted to reply, I got the following message: “Authentication Failed.”  So, I am restating my question.

Below is my response to Megan’s message:

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have tried previewing photos both using the File tab and the Photos tab.  When I use the File tab, I can’t scroll through the photos; it automatically thinks I want to share a specific photo. (Again, these are photos that I uploaded from a folder on my computer.) 

I would prefer to view the photos in the Photo tab.  When I view the photos in the Photo tab, photos from the specific folder (that I uploaded) are not consecutive.  They are all over the place, grouped my month and year.  For example, photos from one of the folders that I uploaded are grouped as: August 2024, July 2024, January 2024, October 2023, January 2023, July 2021, and June 2021. 

I tried deleting the photos from Dropbox and uploading them again after I edited/modified them in Photoshop.  That did not work, they were still grouped by various months/years.  I guess the question is: How do I change the month/year on the photos so they all have the same month/year associated with all the photos in a specific folder on my computer?

Thank you.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hope it’s OK if jump in, @robertvitek.

Regarding the Files tab, can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your end? You should be indeed able to scroll through your files and folders there. Here’s how you can attach it here: 

As for your Photos tab, this sounds like expected behavior. This tab is designed to show all photos you have saved on your Dropbox account according to the date they were added/uploaded and not based on their folder. 

Did you upload photos to your other folder on Dropbox around the same time as this one?

Finally, do your photos appear the same way on your Photos tab online?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

robertvitek
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for getting back to me.

A screen shot from my phone would not display what is happening.  It would simply show the month/year and the photos for that period.  It would not capture all the different months/years which, for one of the folders I uploaded are, August 2024, July 2024, January 2024, October 2023, January 2023, July 2021, and June 2021.  Other photos from another folder that I uploaded are interspersed in between these photos.

All the photos from a specific folder that I uploaded from my computer were all done at the same time.  I tried deleting the photos from Dropbox and modifying them using Photoshop and then uploading them again to Dropbox; uploading all photos in a specific folder at the same time.  After doing this, nothing changed when viewing the photos using the Photo tab.

The issue is with viewing photos on my phone using the Photo tab.  I am okay with what I see when I view the photos/folders on my computer.  The question remains: How do I change the months/years (as they appear in Dropbox) so that all my photos are grouped together when viewing them in the Photo tab?

Thank you.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @robertvitek, the Photos tab shows the photos in the date the image was created, and not the modification date. When you edit an image, the creation date isn't modified. 

If you're able to within the editing program, you choose to edit the creation date of the file.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

robertvitek
Explorer | Level 3
  • I do not see an option to edit the creation date in your edit function.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

I think what my colleague @Jay meant is when you're trying to edit the file using their respective app. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    robertvitek Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?