cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: There's a change in the way files preview with grey boxes around.

There's a change in the way files preview with grey boxes around.

Rei3e
Helpful | Level 6

Hi there! Dropbox recently updated the preview image experience and there is now grey shadow boxed around all of the image previews. Unfortunately, for individuals such as myself who have to cull through thousands of images a day, this makes it much harder to have a clear preview of the image. Even on the large grid, the images are much smaller with this shadow border. I would love to be able to use the old view.

This change alone has increased my culling time by over 30%!  Yikes! I hope to see a resolution.

These are they grey boxes that are also present around each individual image. 

Screenshot 2023-08-11 134451.png

21 Replies 21

estherAL
Helpful | Level 6

When looking at grid view online, the latest update recently shrunk all previews. The entire grid became smaller (making the 'large grid' view about the size that the 'small grid' view used to be). In addition, a small frame was added around the preview so that the actual preview is even smaller. Previews in grid mode are really hard to view right now, rendering them almost useless, and I'm not seeing any good reason why this was done. Please reverse this, and make the large grid view useful again so we don't have to view each image individually and wait for it load. TY!

Chanie15
New member | Level 2

This is a fantastic idea! Hate the new update. Ruining my workflow..

leveeroadstudio
Helpful | Level 6

@Jay First, I copy a folder's shared link. Then, I would paste the link into an incognito (logged out) browser, and all of the images within the file were shown, hyperlinked to their individual share links. From there, I could highlight all of the images, copy, and paste right into my spreadsheet.

The new preview layout seems to have cloaked the individual share links. So, now I think it's time for Dropbox to add a feature that allows users to copy multiple links without jumping through all of these hoops.

Google Drive has this feature. Photobucket even has this feature. Dropbox, being a leader in the cloud storage space, SHOULD have this feature!!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the clarification and the feedback here, @leveeroadstudio.

We're always looking for ways to make Dropbox better and more efficient, so I'll pass this on to the team.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

simonDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @Rei3e,

Thank you for sharing this feedback! I work on the product team responsible for this feature. We are now working on a solution that will give users more control over the size of the tiles on grid view. Stay tuned!

Simon

Rei3e
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you @simonDBX! I am still working through this issue daily. I look forward to a solution to help us all affected by this. 😍

simonDBX
Dropbox Product Manager

Hi @Rei3e - we're working on a longer term solution to give users more control over the size of the tiles. But in the short term, would it be helpful if the size of the tiles was overall larger? More similar in size to what they were previously in the large grid view?

Tyto
Helpful | Level 6

No solutions as far as I know.. I've made other posts complaining about the new layout, hopefully if Dropbox receives enough complaints they will revert to the old layout. For now we are just stuck with it 😞

Tyto
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, that would be helpful! The image previews used to fill the entire tile, now half of the space is wasted by this gray box frame.

The image previews should be as large as they used to be in the "Large Grid" view, any solution would be appreciated!

leveeroadstudio
Helpful | Level 6

It would be great to have the option to switch back to the old layout. I'm getting tired of software companies making changes that affect our workflows so harshly without offering a solution or the option to revert back to a previous version.

Need more support?