cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundclips unavailable after renaming them

Soundclips unavailable after renaming them

G-CW-00663860
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. I have a bunch of sound clips/ music ideas from older and newer phones stored in DB. The other day in went through them, and changed names on 4 or 5 clips, which resulted in me not being able to listen to them anymore. When I do as the app says, log in from a computer and download them , they are just a sheet of coding. What am I doing wrong? About 150 sound clips I really dont want to loose. I can still play the clips that I did not change name on from the app on my phone, but i cant play any of them from my computer.  Thanks for helping. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@G-CW-00663860 wrote:

The other day in went through them, and changed names on 4 or 5 clips, which resulted in me not being able to listen to them anymore.

If they stopped playing after you renamed them, you likely removed the file extension. A file extension is the period and extra characters you see at the end of a filename, such as .mp3, .wav, .docx, etc., and is what your operating system uses to determine what the file type is so it will know what application to use to open/play it.

Rename your files again and make sure you include the appropriate file extension for the file type, then try to play them again.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@G-CW-00663860 wrote:

The other day in went through them, and changed names on 4 or 5 clips, which resulted in me not being able to listen to them anymore.

If they stopped playing after you renamed them, you likely removed the file extension. A file extension is the period and extra characters you see at the end of a filename, such as .mp3, .wav, .docx, etc., and is what your operating system uses to determine what the file type is so it will know what application to use to open/play it.

Rename your files again and make sure you include the appropriate file extension for the file type, then try to play them again.

G-CW-00663860
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you so very much, Rich. That worked
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

G-CW-00663860 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?