cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential ordering of photos within an Album

Sequential ordering of photos within an Album

Richard R.25
New member | Level 1

Is it possible to rearrange the ordering or listing of the photos in an Album such that they will be viewed in the Dropbox Photo Viewer in a specific sequence?
(This may be important for the development of an idea, the life-cycle of a pet, progressive schooling of a child, or the time-sequenced construction of a house, etc.)
Seems that when I create the Album and add photos to it, the order in which they appear in the Photo Viewer is random.

Can this display sequence be altered by means of title, date captured,, date added to Album, etc.?
With thanks, Richard R.

18 Replies 18

evelyn b.5
New member | Level 1

I am having the same issue. It appears you should be able to sequentially sort the photos in the album.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

No, "albums" are just lists of files you select and the list is sorted by date.

evelyn b.5
New member | Level 1

When viewed in the file section of Dropbox they do appear in filename sequence. But when viewed them in the Photo album area of Dropbox they are in a random sequence and do not appear in any date or file name sequence. Any work around ? 

Craig X S.
New member | Level 1

Rearranging photos in an Album? How can you do it? Seems like they are in order of time date not my sequenced number system. How can you work around this?

Mark
Super User II

Rename the files. 

BUT remember that Carousel etc. is being closed down soon so albums made with that will stop working 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Craig X S.
New member | Level 1

The files have been renamed to the order I want them to appear 1 through…. They show up in order in Dropbox folder and then when I create a Album they do not. I think they go in the order of time… when they were shot. Because I used two cameras at different times. So I just want the album to follow the number sequence.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Graig, You may be confusing an "album" with a "folder" - they are not the same. Files live in folders where you may rename them and see a different order. Albums are sets of pointers to files (not the files themselves) and their order is the "Timeline."

Craig X S.
New member | Level 1

I am not confusing them… I know the difference. So is there a way to make the Album follow the numbering system that I created and not be a "timeline" thing? I want the Album to follow exactly what the folder has in it. I created the files to be a certain way by numbering them… then I look at the Album and they are not following the numbers. Any way to change the Album presets?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

No.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve L.49 New member | Level 2
    Chani R. New member | Level 1
    Stretch L. New member | Level 2
    Dianne G.1 New member | Level 1
    Paul N.8 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?