cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selective Sync is syncing files that are not selected.

Selective Sync is syncing files that are not selected.

robbsalzmann
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed Dropbox on a laptop.  Dropbox is configured to Selective Sync, two fairly specific folders.  However it is downloading everything around that folder starting 2 folders up.  The sync should have downloaded the 12 files in the folders I selected, but instead it downloaded 6237 files!

What is happening is the sync is downloading everything under the Aviation folder.  Any files in the Aviation folder are there on my local dropbox folder now as well as all the files and folders in the folders pointed to by the red arrows.

What do I have to do to only sync the folders I selected?  2018-01-13_11-12-10.jpg

14 Replies 14

robbsalzmann
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
"Selective sync conflict"? is that a thing? Where is it documented?

If this were 2 or 3 folders I could see doing what you did. However, there are literally thousands of files being downloaded that are not selected in Selective Sync.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

robbsalzmann wrote:
"Selective sync conflict"? is that a thing? Where is it documented?

Yes.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
My query was just to see if they had the gray icon, that’s all.

Could you check if you’re running a beta version of the Dropbox desktop application. You can do this by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar.

It should say something like 41.4. If it says 42.3, then you’re running the beta. Please follow the next steps to downgrade to the stable build:

1. Visit https://www.dropbox.com/account
2. Scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

https://www.dropbox.com/download

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

robbsalzmann
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the clarification. I see the gray icon. I'm going to try the downgrade option to see if that helps.

robbsalzmann
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich, Thanks for the link.  Reading up now....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

robbsalzmann New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?