cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Scrolling, zooming and searching in PDF files in the iOS app doesn't work normally

Scrolling, zooming and searching in PDF files in the iOS app doesn't work normally

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4

When viewing PDF files on the iOS mobile app, the files open normally, but the scrolling, zooming, and search functions are completely useless.

When trying to swipe scroll, the pages moves the slightest fraction of an inch, then stalls. No smooth scrolling. Even holding my finger on the screen doesn’t help.

Pinch zooming stalls like scrolling. It will zoom in or out the slightest amount and then stop despite still pinching.

The search function opens, but as soon as I tap in the field to type something to search, it drops the keyboard as if I’ve clicked “go,” so I am completely unable to search anything.

These glitches came up only in the last few days, and the latest update did nothing to fix them.

Dropbox app version 386.2
iPhone 14
iOS 17.5.1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cltchrn, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is this occurring for all PDF files, or just specific ones on your account?

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @cltchrn, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is this occurring for all PDF files, or just specific ones on your account?

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4
Upon further investigation, it appears to only have occurred with files that I have made “available offline.” When I “uncheck” that option, and view the file, scrolling and zooming work normally. When I “make available offline” again after removing it, the problem returns.

I will try uninstalling and see if that helps.

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4
After uninstalling and reinstalling, files made “available offline” function normally again. Thanks for the help!

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4
Now that it’s been a few hours, the problem has returned. It seems to go away as long as I remove the files from “make available offline.”

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hope it’s OK to chime in, @cltchrn

Did this issue surface with the latest Dropbox app update perhaps or have you had it for a while now? 

What’s the average size of a file you make offline on the app? 

Did you also clear the Dropbox app’s cache before reinstalling?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

jwdoom
Explorer | Level 4

I was having the same problem.  Clearing the cache worked for me, even without reinstalling.   I'm a Plus account user on an iPhone SE 2020 with 4 devices, if that matters/helps.  -- Edited to say I also had the problem reoccur.  It also seems to be connected to setting the file to Make Availble Offline.

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

Does this happen to all PDF documents, or just certain ones? If you offline one PDF and view another PDF, does the second PDF also suffer the problem? It sounds almost like the file is resetting periodically while you're viewing it, which you're right may be related to offline.

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4
No, the issue developed prior to the most recent update, but it had only been occurring for about a week. After the update, it still did not go away. The only thing that returned the scrolling, zooming, and search functions to normal was removing them from the “make available offline” option.

cltchrn
Explorer | Level 4
This happens to every PDF which I have set to “make available offline.” Making one file available offline doesn’t affect other files.
Need more support?