cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Permission error when trying to open files in the Dropbox folder

Permission error when trying to open files in the Dropbox folder

syibimian
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, i keep getting these messages when trying to open files (pdf, jpegs, etc) that is located in the dropbox folder. restarting the computer helps but then the problem would return after opening a few files.

Screenshot 2023-08-23 at 2.34.20 PM.png

 

13 Replies 13

syibimian
Explorer | Level 3

yes, changing it to available offline first.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try fixing the permissions and hard links by following these steps?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

syibimian
Explorer | Level 3

hello, i've tried that and restarted, the problem seem to went away before start the dropbox app. then the problem returned after i started the app

Demitri
Dropbox Staff

Hi @syibimian 

I'm Demitri --  a long time tinkerer with the Dropbox desktop application 🙂 

That error you're seeing is a filesystem/permissions error from MacOS, that says the file you selected to open, can't be with the existing permissions. That you mention this seems to fix itself after a restart, makes me think something else on the device may be interacting with your files in a way that changes those permissions while in use. 

You can take a look at what permissions are in place currently by right-clicking (or Control + clicking) the file and selecting Get Info. If you see either: 

• The locked checkbox is ticked or
  • Your user profile is not listed as having read/write access

That may prevent you working on your files. 

It's important to keep in mind: just about any time you provide your password to an application during install - it likely has access to modify your files. The Dropbox desktop application does as well - but our application will mirror your permissions as they exist in your account online.

I would recommend taking a look at both the kinds of applications you typically use to open these files (maybe one of them is silently crashing and still 'touching' your files in a way that they can't be re-opened without restarting); or potentially take a look at apps like security/anti-virus that scan your files. These services have tools to 'quarantine' files in ways that could effectively result in what you're seeing. 

I hope this helps! If from your testing it seems like the Dropbox desktop application is making these unwanted changes to your file permissions - I'd encourage you to submit a support ticket. My team and I can look into any suspected issues on our end - but my suspicion is there's another party involved here. 

Need more support?