cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF not displayed in Dropbox Paper if the preview is compressed

PDF not displayed in Dropbox Paper if the preview is compressed

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Team,

I'm using Dropbox Paper.

I have a few PDF's in paper.

nexon_1-1700609521098.png

The preview of the PDF's work but if it is compressed and you want to click on it to view it, this error occurs:
"www.dropbox.com refused to connect."

nexon_0-1700608870883.png

On the console there is also an error:
"Refused to frame 'https://www.dropbox.com/' because an ancestor violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "frame-ancestors 'self'"."

As I understood, this issue existed on Dropbox (regular web app; not paper) as well. But this has been fixed according to this entry:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Discuss-Dropbox-Developer-API/dropbox-embedder-getting-quot-ancestor...

I hereby ask the developers to fix this issue on paper as well in order to be able to view PDF's in paper again.

And before you ask, yes, I have deleted cache, used another browser, disabled extensions, tried on a different computer (Windows / Mac) and also on another network + on incognito windows.

Tested with:

• MacBook Pro (2019 - Sonoma): Safari (latest) / Chrome (latest)
  • Windows 11: Chrome (Version 119.0.6045.160 Official Build 64-bit) / Firefox (120.0 64-bit)

Many thanks in advance for your reply!

20 Replies 20

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Team,

I'm using Dropbox Paper.

I have a few PDF's in paper.

nexon_1-1700609521098.png

The preview of the PDF's work but if it is compressed and you want to click on it to view it, this error occurs:
"www.dropbox.com refused to connect."

nexon_0-1700608870883.png

On the console there is also an error:
"Refused to frame 'https://www.dropbox.com/' because an ancestor violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "frame-ancestors 'self'"."

As I understood, this issue existed on Dropbox (regular web app; not paper) as well. But this has been fixed according to this entry:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Discuss-Dropbox-Developer-API/dropbox-embedder-getting-quot-ancestor...

I hereby ask the developers to fix this issue on paper as well in order to be able to view PDF's in paper again.

And before you ask, yes, I have deleted cache, used another browser, disabled extensions, tried on a different computer (Windows / Mac) and also on another network + on incognito windows.

Tested with:

• MacBook Pro (2019 - Sonoma): Safari (latest) / Chrome (latest)
  • Windows 11: Chrome (Version 119.0.6045.160 Official Build 64-bit) / Firefox (120.0 64-bit)

Many thanks in advance for your reply!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @nexon - thanks for bringing this to our attention and sharing the troubleshooting steps you've already attempted.

Can you please clarify if you notice this behavior on a specific Paper doc or if it's affecting all of them? 

Also, are you able to preview those PDFs  normally on our website?

Let us know more and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Walter , thanks for your fast reply. It affects all PDF's in the paper. However, with this comment I've tested another paper and noticed that older papers are working. 

Here is a paper I've just created for test purposes a few minutes ago, showing exactly the same behavior:

[removed]

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @nexon, but did you notice any significant change or update when this first started happening?

Or was it always the case?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah, sorry for the delayed answer. It seems my last one was not sent. As mentioned above, this started with the most recent papers. If I check papers which have been created earlier, the PDF's are accessible. Is there anything I can do even for a workaround? Were you able to reproduce this issue? (Just create a Paper and upload a PDF, change the preview from full to small and check :-))

Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @nexon, were the PDF files already in your Dropbox account when you added them to the Paper doc, or did you drag and drop them into the doc itself?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay, I've used drag & drop to add the files to the paper.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try first uploading the PDF files into a Dropbox folder, and then attaching them to your Paper doc to see if you get the same issue occurring?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

nexon
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay, just tested this. I can confirm that this also happens with PDF's which are already uploaded to Dropbox.

nexon_1-1701954340646.png

Where you able to replicate this issue yourself?

Many thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    jparke Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?