cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My folders taking too long to open when left-double clicking in Windows.

My folders taking too long to open when left-double clicking in Windows.

mobin68
Explorer | Level 3

Hi everyone, 

I have been having difficulty opening my dropbox folders on my windows when I double left-click on folders. It usually takes about 10 to 15 seconds to open each folder. However, the weird thing is when I right-click on the same folders and select open in a tab or when I left click on the folders in quick access, they open quickly. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app and I have deleted dropbox cache but neither of them worked. I have been using dropbox for more than 10 years and this is the first time such a weird thing is happening to me. Could someone help me identify the problem please?

12 Replies 12

mobin68
Explorer | Level 3

Could someone please help? Has anyone had this issue before?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @mobin68 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please let us know your computer's exact OS version and the version and status of the desktop app as shown in your system tray?

Also, how many files does your Dropbox folder contain approximately? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mobin68
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your reply

Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
OS Build 22621. 1848
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22642.1000.0

Dropbox 178.4.4811

I have 5070 files (16.8 GB) in my dropbox

Walter
Dropbox Staff

I assume that you've already tried rebooting your computer as well @mobin68 - correct?

Do you happen to be running any antivirus or another 3rd party app that's monitoring your files? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mobin68
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I’ve rebooted too.

I don’t have any antivirus installed.

There are 4 devices I am using my dropbox with. My iphone, ipad, and two laptops with windows OS. Both laptops have this problem, and they only slow down when opening the dropbox folders. Other folders in the computer open just fine.

flowace
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

It appears that you are experiencing slow folder opening issues with Dropbox on your Windows computer. This can be frustrating, but there are several potential solutions to try:

1. Check Internet Connection: Slow folder opening could be due to a poor internet connection. Make sure you have a stable and fast internet connection. You can check your internet speed using various online speed test tools.

2. Check Disk Space: Ensure that you have enough free disk space on your computer. Lack of disk space can slow down file operations, including opening folders.

3. Check for Software Conflicts: Other software or background processes might be conflicting with Dropbox, causing the slow folder opening. Try temporarily disabling any third-party antivirus, firewall, or other software to see if it improves the performance.

4. Update Dropbox: Ensure that you have the latest version of the Dropbox app installed. Sometimes, updating to the latest version can resolve performance issues.

5. Exclude Dropbox from Antivirus Scans: Add Dropbox to the exclusion list of your antivirus software. Antivirus scans can sometimes interfere with Dropbox operations.

6. Reset Dropbox Cache: Instead of just deleting the cache, you can try resetting it. Open the Dropbox app, click on your profile picture, go to "Preferences," and then click on the "Sync" tab. Click the "Clear" button under "Clear cache" to reset the cache.

7. Reinstall Dropbox: Completely uninstall Dropbox from your computer and then reinstall it. This can help resolve any potential issues with the installation.

8. Check for Syncing Conflicts: If there are syncing conflicts or a large number of pending files, it might slow down Dropbox. Check if there are any unresolved conflicts in your Dropbox account online.

9. Check Smart Sync Settings: Smart Sync settings in Dropbox can affect folder behavior. Check if your folders are set to "Online Only" or "Local."

10. Contact Dropbox Support: If none of the above solutions work, consider contacting Dropbox support directly. They can provide further assistance and insights into the issue.

Remember to back up any important files before making significant changes to your Dropbox settings or reinstalling the app.

By trying these steps, you may be able to identify and resolve the issue with slow folder opening on Dropbox. I hope one of these solutions helps you get your Dropbox folders working smoothly again.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mobin68, if you try to quit the app, and then follow the same process of opening some of your folders in Dropbox, do you notice the same slow behavior? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mobin68
Explorer | Level 3
Yes I tried quitting too but the problem persists. Strangely, my icloud also drive has the same issue. The folders open with right click very quickly but double-clicking takes too long.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mobin68, if you're also experiencing this issue with your iCloud, then there could be something else affecting the speed on your machine. 

Either the internet connection is affecting it, when trying to download the file and folders when you doubleclick them, or some other behavior on Windows.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mogera New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Sergio75 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    mobin68 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?