cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Move files and close account

Move files from Dropbox to OneDrive

MathildeC
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hello

I really hope someone can help me with this!

I had all of my files I Dropbox in the desktop app on my Microsoft (Windows 10) computer. I had chosen to save files online and not local due to the fact the my computer doesn’t have enough GB. I then choose to move to OneDrive (also in the desktop app) and just cut and pasted my entire folder with all of the folders and files in it. It then took a long time of course to move it all and now the desktop Dropbox folder is empty and everything should then be in the OneDrive desktop folder. OneDrive said that it was done syncing but when restarting the computer it continued. I have restarted the computer several times since yesterday and it happens every time. I had just about 200 GB worth of files in the Dropbox and everything is moved but only about 60 GB of the files can open in OneDrive and the rest of them is not able to open. I have googled and found out that this method can be used but I should probably have saved it to the local desk and not only as online files according to google. When I open Dropbox.com now I see my files and I tried to download one folder to the local desk as a zip file but it wasn’t able to open. Now I am really not sure what to do or how to get all of my files to OneDrive so I can open them all. As mentioned my local hard drive doesn’t have space for it all and on top of that I’m not sure if Dropbox has still saved all of my files online and if they are even saved there since I deleted them in the Dropbox desktop app. Dias anyone have a good advice and a solution for me so I will not loose any files? I am in the middle of an exam so it is very urgent.

Thanks in advance!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @eastendanto, thanks for joining our Community.

There's not really a direct way to move your Dropbox files to OneDrive, but you can download them from Dropbox to your computer and then add them to OneDrive.

I hope this helps.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @MathildeC 

The only way to do this is to download the files first - if not you are just moving placeholders over and not the actual files. There isnt a way around this. 

If the files are now missing due to you cutting them you can restore via www.dropbox.com/events

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

madmick
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I once made the mistake of trying to use One drive as an additional backup.

It stripped all the content from Dropbox and spirited it away into the cloud where I could not easily access it. My attempts to do so resulted in a complete crash of my system and I had to take the computer to my guru to get the mess sorted out. My instruction to him was "Get this programme of this machine". My photos are now on my computer and backed up onto Dropbox and an external hard drive and I will never try to use another cloud-based system.

One drive still sends me emails telling me I am over my storage limit and my photos will be deleted but I cannot find any way of deleting them myself so they will just have to stay there until they get around to deleting them.

My advice to you is delete one-drive from your system.

eastendanto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

want to transfer all my files to my One Drive. Account won't let me as I'm over my free plan limit.

Only option i can see is that Dropbox want me to pay for a 2000GB upgrade before I can transfer files?

Options that allow me to do this for free if any one has insight would be much appreciated.

rgds

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @eastendanto, thanks for joining our Community.

There's not really a direct way to move your Dropbox files to OneDrive, but you can download them from Dropbox to your computer and then add them to OneDrive.

I hope this helps.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NB141
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi ….  @eastendanto  @Mark You can import directly into Onedrive from either Dropbox or Google drive by using Onedrive Import Cloud Files tool. You just have to sign in with your Dropbox account and Onedrive will import your files in the background regardless if you have your computer or phone turned on.

NB141_0-1697109965576.png

satira
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

There is a direct way which you can use to move your files from Dropbox to OneDrive with no need to download and upload again , this method depending in using cloud migration tools like Gs Richcopy 360 or MultCloud , take a look at the 2 tools and try the trial version first 

Need more support?