cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: File Download Fails Every Time - Workaround/Fix?

Is there a fix if my Dropbox file download keeps failing?

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Every time I try to download a file I get a failed status in Chrome or Safari. When I download in Firefox it fails, however Firefox allows me to "restart" the download and it begins again where it left off... so I can complete the download by repeating this as many times as necessary per file. Very annoying.

For a larger file (say 4 GB) I had to do this "restart" in Firefox 4-5 times before the file reached the end of the download and completed successfully.

I see this is an on-going issue for Dropbox for several years - is there an indication as to waht is causing this? Going to have to ditch the service altogether if there is no real fix.

Ben

17 Replies 17

chrismonico
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I did see that, thank you. I tried that and it works for me, but I can't tell a client to do something like that...this should just work correctly.
In the meantime, the latest response I received from support was: "I have sent your request to a member of my team who specializes in this kind of issue. They'll review it carefully, and get back to you as soon as possible."

I'll update this thread once they get back to me and hopefully resolve the issue.

Thanks

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey everyone, 

Thanks for submitting your tickets, and for keeping the thread updated. 

@cohenben, thanks for sharing your work-around with us here, and I’m glad you were able to get a ticket going. For future reference, you can use any of the options on our support page. You will only see support channels that are available to your account type! 

@chrismonico, yeah, this isn’t an ideal solution by any means. Your ticket has been escalated, so do let us know when you get a reply from our team. 

@dochood, I’m sorry that you’re experiencing this issue as well. Just something to keep in mind here: there is a 20GB size limit on files downloaded from our site. As for most transfers, we recommend using our desktop app for larger files. I know this isn’t always an option, but if you can use it, it is preferred :wink:

I look forward to your updates, as you get them.
Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

chrismonico
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks Sanchez, I did receive a reply from support:

Thanks for reporting this problem. Without you, other customers could have experienced this same issue. You’re helping us make Dropbox better for all our customers.

I relayed the details of your problem to our engineering team. From here, they’ll evaluate the problem and work toward a solution.

I can’t say exactly how long this will take. Depending on the nature of the issue, it could take a day, a few weeks, or longer. I’ll keep a close watch on the team’s progress and let you know as soon as I have an update.

I'll update this post again when I know more.

Thanks

chrismonico
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Good news here, the problem has been fixed...I was able to download a 23GB file from the web @ a consistent 30mb/sec...took 13 minutes. Dropbox support emailed me this morning to let me know:

We've had our engineers working on this and the good news is the problem has been fixed. Please check again and you should find that the correct modified time is now displayed on files uploaded via the Dropbox website.

Sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Thanks everyone

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @chrismonicoI'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know here. 

@dochood &j @cohenben, can you let us know how this is working out for you? 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

cohenben
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am still receiving the network failure. It does appear that more files are working more often, but I am still getting the same failure on about 50% of my transfers today.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the update, @cohenben. Let’s get you in touch with our support team, so one of our agents can dig in further on this. If you do submit a support ticket, please include a link to this forum thread, so my colleagues can see what we’ve been discussing :wink:

Have a great week! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

AJS1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox downloads are still very poor on my system. Its seem Dropbox is a bit of a one trick pony; great for synch, poor for downloads or uploads or file management.

Need more support?