cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need all of my files to be downloaded locally when using my computer. How can I ensure that?

I need all of my files to be downloaded locally when using my computer. How can I ensure that?

jclin10
New member | Level 2

I'd like to be sure that all of my Dropbox are fully downloaded to my desktop computer, just so I can be sure those are backed up in case there is ever an issue with Dropbox. Is there a place where I can adjust that setting? At the same time, I'd also like to be sure that on my laptop, there are as few downloaded files as necessary, just so the files don't take up too much space on my desktop.

Kindly advise, thanks!

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jclin10, let's jump right into this! 

The first thing you need to check is your selective sync settings, in order to make sure your folders are syncing locally on the device. 

Apart from that, feel free to also have a look at the file's status, and icons in order to make sure they're syncing as "available offline" and not online-only. 

For your laptop, you want to check the same exact settings, just make sure that you're unchecking the folders you’d like removed (with selective sync) and that you use online-only for your files. 

Keep in mind that for available-offline, and online-only files and folders might not be available to all Basic, and Windows users. 

In that case, you can always use selective sync.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?