cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't preview certain images on the Dropbox site, why?

I can't preview certain images on the Dropbox site, why?

AR18
Explorer | Level 4

Hello community. i've discovered that some photos i've archived in bulk are not visible and opeanble. The message says that the format isn't correct. This is the icon shown. Even downloading on my desktop i cannot open it anymore. Isn't that, somehow, they have been corrupted once transferred onto Dropbox? Do you have ideas in how to manage this thing. It's about a big number of images. Thanks

AR18_0-1727859740681.png

AR18_1-1727859839083.png

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @AR18, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

These appear to be ._ files, which are known as Apple doublefiles. You can read more about them here in a previous post.

Essentially, these are files that Apple creates when files are copied to a non-Apple formatted hard drive, such as a Windows machine, and then synced to a Mac. They contain metadata for the real file, but no actual image or data.

You'll need to locate the real images on your machine, which should have the same name without the ._ at the beginning, and then upload those to Dropbox.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AR18
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your quick response. What if i don't have anymore the original pictures? May i convert them somehow?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately, the wouldn't be possible with the Apple doublefiles. These files are tiny, most likely only a few KB in size, and there's nothing that can be done to convert them to the original copies, since they have none of the original data.

Are you certain that you don't have the originals also uploaded to the site? Have you tried searching for them?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

AR18
Explorer | Level 4

Unfortunately i've deleted once uploaded in Dropbox. Do you have a process/solution to follow how to convert such kind of files not to repeat the mistake please?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

There isn't any process as such for these files, since they are automatically created by Apple. 

These files would exist in the same folder as the real images, so for instance, ._IMG_0072.jpg would be in the same folder as the real image, IMG_0072.jpg. 

So, instead of uploading any ._ files, always look for the files without ._ at the beginning. You should also be able to tell since the normal files are larger in size when compared to the ._ files.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    AR18 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?