cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't download a PDF file from my own Dropbox account

I can't download a PDF file from my own Dropbox account

Bordonbert
New member | Level 2

I'm having trouble downloading a PDF from my own site.  It isn't overly big.  I uploaded it in the first place.  Sharing is on.  Looking into the Share/Settings for that file I notice that the ability to "Disable Downloads" is set to OFF and greyed out as it is a premium function.  I assume this means that the file should be downloadable.

If I try to select and Download the file by any means nothing at all happens.  I have even copied the file and tried to download a new copy but no success.  This has been a discussed issue for many years that I can find.  Is it still an issue?  Is it maybe simply not allowed for PDF files?

5 Replies 5

Bordonbert
New member | Level 2

I've managed a workaround.  I use Foxit PDF and, if I register that as an associated app, I have managed to open it direct from Dropbox into Foxit and save it from there.  That is pretty much a total bodge when you consider there are a number of routes to directly Download and none of them work at the moment.  I cannot understand why I don't get some sort of message explaining where roughly the problem lies.  And, as I said, this issue seems to have been around for years.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our Community today, @Bordonbert!

You mention in the beginning that you’re having trouble downloading the file from your own website. Can you clarify how you uploaded your Dropbox file there? Did you post a shared link of it perhaps?

Feel free to send me a screenshot of what you see, as well. 

Ping me, when you’ve got more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bordonbert
New member | Level 2

(EDIT:  By "my own site" I meant my Dropbox page, apologies if that caused any confusion, I should have been more clear in saying that.)  The original file was uploaded the simple no frills way.  I logged in, accessed the folder, hit the Upload button, chose File, navigated to the file on my own PC and off it went.  There seems to be nothing wrong with the file, I can view it in my browser directly on my Dropbox site.  The only thing I can't do is to Download it again direct from the Dropbox page.  The Download button does absolutely nothing at all.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying that, @Bordonbert! Does the issue persist with different browsers or even incognito window?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Bordonbert
New member | Level 2

It's hard to tell now as it simply downloads and opens the file directly into Foxit, my PDF reader.  I managed to associate that app with the PDF format in Dropbox and that enabled me to download.  I would have to remove that association to test and I'm loathe to do that as it works around this issue at the moment.

I have to say that this is a well documented and very common problem and has been for years judging by the posts I've found describing it and looking for a solution.  Any Google search will bring up a long list of others suffering too.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bordonbert New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?