cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore backed up files to computer after Windows reinstall?

How to restore backed up files to computer after Windows reinstall?

Janette1
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

My laptop crashed yesterday and I ended up having to reinstall Windows 11.  The laptop is up and running again and I am in the painful stage of having to reload all files and programs.  First step was I tried to restore my backed up Dropbox files to my laptop.  As far as I can tell, all the restore has done is create a DUPLICATE of my backup ONLINE.

So it’s essentially doubled my storage use (for the same backup files) and I don’t have any of the files on my laptop.  See screenshot below.

Am I to understand that I will need to MANUALLY download all these files to my laptop?  I tried to do that and have already run into the “Attempted to zip too many files” error and have figured out that if I need to download them manually, I will have to do so in pieces.   I have used Carbonite as a backup program previously and I did not have to manually restore files to a new computer.  I had assumed Dropbox Backup Restore was an automatic process as well.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Janette

Janette1_0-1704064875795.png

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Janette1 - thanks for posting on our Community and happy New Year!

You're right that you'd need to download those files manually from the Backups page to restore from your previous backup.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?