cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get onenote notes from dropbox and one pc to onedrive to another pc

How to get onenote notes from dropbox and one pc to onedrive to another pc

IreneChristina
Explorer | Level 4

The description of my problem is a bit long, and I hope you understand all the configurations/problems. PLEASE HELP! I hate it that dropbox has no real integration of onenote, I love both but they don't work together. And now with a new laptop I really have a problem.

I just got a new laptop and I use dropbox (this is obligatory, as I have a subscription that I pay for). With my last pc I had onenote-notes in a dropbox folder, so that they were safe in the cloud. Path like c://user/name/dropbox/onenote/name_notebook. And I have used onenote for ages and have A LOT of data in about 10 notebooks. I use it all the time, I need it on my new laptop!!!

Now I have the problem how to get the Onenotes to the new laptop. Here I mainly use dropbox as before but I would like to get the notes to onedrive so that I can sync them with my android mobile which is not possible when I have got them in dropbox. Please advise. THANKS!

If I can't transfer/copy the onenote notebooks to onedrive please advise how I transfer them onto the new laptop in/with dropbox - I don't get the structure. I know that I can change the path and that I can export but the export. But when I export one notebook into onepkg-file and I click on it on the new pc nothing happens (can't be read, search for app, nothing).

Additionally I have old format at my notebooks (sometimes at my old laptop it says "convert into 2010-2013", sometimes "convert into 2007")

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @IreneChristina, thanks for joining the Community!

When it comes to syncing files in your Dropbox folder to Onedrive, generally this isn't recommended as it can result in performance degradation, and potentially data loss. However, there could be some third party apps or services that can assist on this matter.

Syncing the Onenote files to another laptop is simply a matter of installing the Dropbox desktop application, and the files will sync to that Dropbox folder there.

Regarding exporting or opening the files themselves, this is related to the Onenote app, and isn't something I could troubleshoot in more detail.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

IreneChristina
Explorer | Level 4

SOLUTION FOUND :grinning:

Dear Jay, thanks for your answer. I know that Dropbox is not designed to implement Microsoft OneNote and yet the combination of both worked for me for years (on MS PC, Mobile Android App OneNote did not work) and it would be great if it were supported.

I do LOVE Dropbox AND OneNote and use both all the time!!! Since there is no support between the two so far I had to change my OneNote Notebooks from Dropbox to OneDrive to get them to my new PC - which was a big challenge.

With the new lap laptop it was not only opening the files in the App OneNote for Win10 on the new PC
(please forgive me, if I remember your answer incorrectly, I can't look at it writing my message).

After some hours and a lot of research and trial+error I found a 
SOLUTION for transferring MS OneNote Notebooks from old Windows PC (storage location Dropbox)
to new Windows PC with the change of storage location to OneDrive:

(NB = MS OneDrive Notebook)

• On the old PC create a new NB (with a similiar name as the old one, like "xxx OneDrive" - you can change it later)
    IMPORTANT: as storage location select OneDrive.
  • Open the old NB and copy the paragraph (if more paragraphs repeat this and the next step for every paragraph)
  • Sycn OneDrive and check the new NB
    (* Webversion   * App Onenote Win10 on the laptop   * App OneNote App on my Android mobile)
  • When OK close the old NBs on old PC
  • On Webversion Onedrive/Documents delete old NBs.

I hope this solution helps other users with the same problem. I am currently in the process of doing the above with all my NBs and I hope I got it right.

Additonal information:

• NBs are not stored as "normal files" in "normal folders" but only as links to OneDrive, this makes things so difficult. The factor that closing NBs does not mean deleting NBs makes it even more complex and error-prone. Synchronisation between OneNoteWeb, OneNoteApp (PC+Mobile) is very slow sometimes which makes it seem something hasn't worked but in reality you have to wait (and/or sync manually).
  • In the past you could export a Notebook into onepkg-format, this "file" you could copy/paste to another location. But there was a change with Microsoft and now this does not work anymore.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for providing your solution, @IreneChristina, this should help other users. 

If you need any further assistance in future, please feel free to let me know.

Enjoy your weekend!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?