cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does available online diskspace affect syncing?

How does available online diskspace affect syncing?

Jayteasee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've got a free account and I got this silly email from Dropbox saying:

Eligibility confirmed: USERNAME, you'll lose access to your files if you don't act soon!
Notice: Your files are about to stop syncing, USERNAME
There's limited space available in your Dropbox. Even adding just one more file might stop your account from syncing and being able to access them when you need to.

Well, I haven't set up syncing, I believe. I only go browser-based. But this also begs the question: WHY would "adding just one more file" stop synching? What does available online diskspace have to do with anything?

How could that one file stop my access to my Dropbox? Is this some sort of panic marketing by Dropbox? I mean, I shouldn't be able to exceed my allocated space without a subscription. Unless there's some stupid marketing ploy where I can upload too much stuff and end up having to pay to get access to my files again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jayteasee wrote:

WHY would "adding just one more file" stop synching? What does available online diskspace have to do with anything?

If your account goes over its storage quota, syncing stops until you bring your account back below your quota. This means any device where Dropbox is installed and actively syncing your files would stop syncing. If you don't have Dropbox installed and you only use the Dropbox website, then you wouldn't be able to upload any new files or make changes to existing files until you were back below your quota.

How could that one file stop my access to my Dropbox?

If a file is significantly large enough it could put you over your quota.

Is this some sort of panic marketing by Dropbox?

Sort of, yes. The messages seem to be sent based on a percentage of remaining space in your account, and it's unlikely that adding just a single file would put you over quota (unless it was a large enough file). Is it panic marketing, yes. Is it untrue, no, not really.

I mean, I shouldn't be able to exceed my allocated space without a subscription.

Though rare, there are ways it can happen, such as if you were to join a shared folder and then another member of the share uploaded enough data that exceeded your account limit.

Unless there's some stupid marketing ploy where I can upload too much stuff and end up having to pay to get access to my files again.

No. Even if you find yourself over your quota, you don't lose access to your files. You can still access and download everything in your account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jayteasee wrote:

WHY would "adding just one more file" stop synching? What does available online diskspace have to do with anything?

If your account goes over its storage quota, syncing stops until you bring your account back below your quota. This means any device where Dropbox is installed and actively syncing your files would stop syncing. If you don't have Dropbox installed and you only use the Dropbox website, then you wouldn't be able to upload any new files or make changes to existing files until you were back below your quota.

How could that one file stop my access to my Dropbox?

If a file is significantly large enough it could put you over your quota.

Is this some sort of panic marketing by Dropbox?

Sort of, yes. The messages seem to be sent based on a percentage of remaining space in your account, and it's unlikely that adding just a single file would put you over quota (unless it was a large enough file). Is it panic marketing, yes. Is it untrue, no, not really.

I mean, I shouldn't be able to exceed my allocated space without a subscription.

Though rare, there are ways it can happen, such as if you were to join a shared folder and then another member of the share uploaded enough data that exceeded your account limit.

Unless there's some stupid marketing ploy where I can upload too much stuff and end up having to pay to get access to my files again.

No. Even if you find yourself over your quota, you don't lose access to your files. You can still access and download everything in your account.

Jayteasee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Right, that pretty much answered all of my questions. Thank you.

Nice one, Dropbox. Almost fell for it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jayteasee New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?