cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMAIL ERROR 404

GMAIL ERROR 404

kslerner
Explorer | Level 3

I am searching for a solution to an apparently common GMAIL ERROR 404 error related to downloaded saved GMAIL PDF documents into a dropbox folder. Embedded files in the pdf should be able to be downloaded onto a computer and opened. However, trying to open the embedded document in the pdf results in the Error 404 message. Is there a work around for this?

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@kslerner wrote:

Embedded files in the pdf should be able to be downloaded onto a computer and opened. However, trying to open the embedded document in the pdf results in the Error 404 message.

A 404 error means File Not Found. It sounds like instead of the PDF having a file embedded within it, the PDF just has a link to the file, and that file is no longer available. If it's a link to a file on Dropbox, you would need to contact the owner of the file and ask for a new link.

kslerner
Explorer | Level 3
I am the owner of the original file. When I send it to the Dropbox I am able to open it on my computer and see the attachment without any problem. Even after downloading it back to my computer I can see the link to the file and open it. However the other person trying to open the same file on the Dropbox is unable to read the attachment. Why is that and how do we get around it?

Rich
Super User II

@kslerner wrote:
... I can see the link to the file and open it.

How did you create the link? If the recipient can open the PDF, what happens if he copies the link and manually enters it in his browser, instead of trying to click the link in the PDF file?

kslerner
Explorer | Level 3

The link was created by saving a PDF email file with embedded secondary files from GMAIL.  Then moving the PDF to Dropbox.  I can open the moved file in Dropbox and can then open the secondary file using Microsoft Office (Word, PPT, Excel, etc).  However, a person with sharing rights to the  pdf file is unable to open the secondary embedded documents.  They need access to the secondary files.  If I send them separately, they will no longer be connected (linked) to the original document, which is s a problem.

Any ideas how to work around this?

Rich
Super User II

@kslerner wrote:

The link was created by saving a PDF email file with embedded secondary files from GMAIL.

So, you received an email in Gmail that had attachments linked within, and you saved that as a PDF file? Is that correct? If so, then I'd guess that the embedded files would only work for you because they're links to files within your own email. No one else would be able to access those.

This also doesn't seem to be a Dropbox issue as you're not referring to links to files within Dropbox, but within your Gmail instead. I'd reach out to Google.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    kslerner Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?