cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Excel Files not opening to edit in Excel from Dropbox.

Excel Files not opening to edit in Excel from Dropbox.

ijmolder66
Explorer | Level 4

Started this week.  On my phone I can open an Excel file in Dropbox as a preview but when I click on the edit button I get the Office Excel opening (Downloading from Dropbox) screen, then it flips to the "Microsoft Office Integration would like access to the files and folders in your Dropbox. Learn more. > Allow screen"  I click on Allow then it just flips back to the Dropbox preview of my Excel file.  I have logged out of Dropbox on the (Android) phone, then back in, no change.  I have rebooted the phone, no change.  I have uninstalled Excel on my phone and let Dropbox install it again, no change.  Sometimes I get the "Sign in to Dropbox to link with Microsoft Office Integration" prompt so I do, no change.  I have clear Cache, no change.  Removed the Default apps, no change.  I can open and edit the Excel file with Excel  on the Web from a computer.  I am will to use Google Sheets but I do not get that as an option on the phone. 

Note: I can open the Excel file in Excel on my phone if I open Excel directly on the phone then select the file, just not from within Dropbox.

image.png

image.png

image.png

55 Replies 55

Agg028
New member | Level 2
I started having this issue two weeks ago.

I have trued uninstalling and re-installing both apps. Ive tried opening from each app. Ive tried making the file available offline. None of those things have resolved the issue.

bbeck
Explorer | Level 4

It’s really annoying.  And the dropbox support people have not yet been very helpful. I don’t  need instructions on how to use excel files in dropbox.  Right now I have to edit excel files in drop box on my Mac .  And just read them on the iPad. 
Barbara 

ps I have been communicating w dropbox support for about a week already…

rajma420
Helpful | Level 5

Barbara,

yes, I uninstalled and installed the dropbox app many times on my Samsung S10. nothing worked.

bbeck
Explorer | Level 4

I found a workaround so excel now functions w dropbox on the iPad !!!

I go into the files app on the iPad .  The  files app looks like  a folder.  In this app, you should see all your files folder, including iCloud files, PDF expert, dropbox, etc. .  If you don’t, click on the 3 dots at the top and click edit sidebar.  Then add dropbox.

once dropbox is in your files folder, excel is now functional.  No more endless Microsoft Integration loop.

and no more less than helpful assistance from dropbox support.  They should give me a free subscription for figuring this out.  And now, they have an idea as to where to look for the problem to fix it.

if you open an excel file directly from the files folder (you don’t have to click on the icon to open the file in excel), it opens right away, syncs, etc.  

open dropbox from the iOS files folder and voilá, when you click on a drop box excel file, it opens right away!  You don’t have to click on the little icon that says open file in excel.

Donjrath
New member | Level 2

I had the same issue on my iPad for weeks.  Try shutting down the Excel app, then going into the settings for the Excel app, click on “Reset Excel,” then “Clear All Workbooks.”  Then close the settings and reopen Excel.  It immediately fixed the problem for me.

bbeck
Explorer | Level 4

Well that didn’t fix the problem (although my earlier work around did fix it sort of)

however, going into excel in settings, then going to reset excel, and clicking on delete sign in credentials fixed the problem.  I just had to login into my Microsoft account again.

Need more support?