cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox options missing in right-click menu on Windows

Dropbox options missing in right-click menu on Windows

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi guys,

today, probably after downloading and installing latest stable release a Dropbox, the context menu disappeared from Windows Explorer.

Dropbox version: 183.4.7058

Windows 10 version: 22H2 OS build 19045.3448

Unfortunately I am not sure, what version was installed prior to update.

Any ideas to solve this? Was reading older posts of same issue and not sure how to proceed? Downgrade to older stable and disable updates for a while?

Thanks Petr

83 Replies 83

RogK1
Explorer | Level 4

not good mate, feel for ya, yep Dropbox needs to step up for you, they are a big company and when they don't move on things for a user it starts to make you think about other options..

For Ref: 

I only got this error on my Win 11 machine (Win11 Pro)
did not happen on  my Win 10 machine (Win 10 pro).. yet..

alonzo86
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I uninstalled-installed again and it worked as usual, and it always works for me, but I can't do it every time.

I wasn't using dropbox for few days on my PC, and today I tried to share a file, and see the context menu disappeared again - the app updated itself again... 

Neverending story

iNfeRnO B.
Helpful | Level 6

This is still broken.  Would be really nice if Dropbox actually fixed it since at this point it's quite clearly an issue on their end, but they don't seem to have any interest in doing so.  It's been months now.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

HI there @iNfeRnO B. - could you clarify your device's OS version and the status and version of the desktop app as shown in your menu bar/system tray at the moment? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

iNfeRnO B.
Helpful | Level 6

I can, but it'll just be me jumping through the same hoops everyone else in this thread including me earlier has done before so I'm not sure what the point is.  It's something you guys need to fix on your end, not us, your customers.  But sure, here, I'll dance the dance once more.

OS Version: Windows 10 Home Version 22H2
Dropbox Version: 189.4.8395

I've also already checked the registry edits, changed my language, restarted, and reinstalled which can sometimes fix it temporarily but the issue will pop up again.  This has all been gone over by other people in the thread, it's really tiring having to go over it again and again in an infinite loop instead of the issue actually being fixed by a change on Dropbox's side.

Edit: Sorry if this came off as overly aggressive, I'm just tired and sick currently and would really rather it just worked.  I appreciate you having responded at all I guess since some companies don't even do that.

alonzo86
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

At least they are trying. But seems that there are few of us with the same issue.

alonzo86
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

Today after a new automatic update I had a problem with a standard uninstall-install procedure to get the context menu back, and I went through advanced uninstall (which I was doing before as well, but I was realized that simple uninstall was doing the trick as well) and install again and the context menu got back.

However while going through advanced uninstall after while going through Registry editor to delete "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" in “SOFTWARE” and “WOW6432Node” folders, I found a stubborn registry named "default" , type REG_SZ with Data C:ProgramFiles (x86)\Dropbox\Update\1.3.733.1\psmachine.dll. That update number is some old update, and this key can't be deleted. So I wanted to ask if my problem maybe has something to do with that.

I ignored it for now, advanced uninstall and installing again did the trick, and the context menu is back again.

Here is the screenshot of that key:

Capture 1.JPG

Thanks

alonzo86
Helpful | Level 6

New update, new reinstall 😂

Roberto B.9
Explorer | Level 4

The proposed solution does not work for me

RobertoB9_0-1706170049327.png

Are the changes in the registry right?

Roberto B.9
Explorer | Level 4

But this solution is only for Icons....not for menù...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zep1 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Windo Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    CliffSmiff New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?