cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I disabled downloads when sharing my files, but people can still save their preview on their device.

I disabled downloads when sharing my files, but people can still save their preview on their device.

radiohe4d
New member | Level 2

I signed up for Dropbox Essentials in order to share images securely through Dropbox, without folks being able to download them -- i.e. by turning on the "disabling download" feature.

However, even with the disable download feature turned on (so people cannot click the download button), people can simply drag the images to their desktop or right click and select "Save Image As," which defeats the entire purpose of the disable download button.

Any solution to this? May have to find a different way to share photos without people being able to download.

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@radiohe4d wrote:

... people can simply drag the images to their desktop or right click and select "Save Image As," which defeats the entire purpose of the disable download button.

They're not downloading the original file. They're saving the preview image, which is a lower resolution from the original, and there's nothing that can prevent that. 

Despite what ANY service says about not being able to download a file, there's always a way. Even if you found one that had a way to prevent Save Image As or the ability to drag and drop, the viewer could still just take a screenshot.

Simply put, if it's visible on the Internet, it can be downloaded or saved in some manner. You can't view something on the Internet without it being loaded in the browser, which means storing it in cache, and there are applications that will extract files from cache.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?