cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox is infinitely duplicating all the files in the folder

Dropbox is infinitely duplicating all the files in the folder

starlightof
Explorer | Level 3

Video of the issue [removed shared link to prevent excess traffic]

This is solely a visual issue, the files themselves aren't actually created. As soon as I refresh the page, the files are gone, however it takes around 3-4 seconds of doing nothing or scrolling for them to start appearing again. It then goes on forever, making browsing the folder practically impossible.

I've tried disabling all extensions and also tried browsing on Chrome (I'm using Firefox as main browser), but the issue still remained there. Chrome was also a fresh install, so it's not cookies/cache.

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting this on our forum, @starlightof

This is an interesting behavior indeed.

When did you first notice this issue and is it only happening with the specific folder? Is it a folder you own or was it shared with you by another user via shared link? 

Have you tested this via incognito window, too?

Keep me in the loop for more info.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

starlightof
Explorer | Level 3

I believe today was the first time ever, although I know that my colleagues had this exact issue before with this folder.

The folder is not made by me, it is shared via a link by another user.

I just tested incognito mode — same behavior happens.

I've also checked other folders and it happens there as well. To be fair though — they're all in the same folder (by that I mean that we have a main folder which contains 3 other folders that I use). I don't have any other folders to test unfortunately, perhaps you could share one with me so I can check if that's a problem related to my exact folders, or if it's happening across the whole website.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I’m afraid I can’t share any folders either, @starlightof

If you have a Dropbox account of your own, can you create a new folder perhaps, upload 2-3 files and then create a shared link for it? If you view this link via incognito mode, while NOT being signed into your Dropbox account, do you see the same thing?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

starlightof
Explorer | Level 3

Just tested it, it's just fine for my own folder.

There's also a completely different folder from the same user that shared the initial folder with me, and it also has the same issue. Perhaps it's somehow related to them having a LOT of video files in it? 100-150+ videos? Can't test this with my own folder as I just don't have that many videos to upload to Dropbox, unfortunately.

There are also more of my colleagues who are also experiencing this issue today. For some, changing the browser and clearing cache worked, but once again, it didn't work for me.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey from me as well @starlightof!

The fact that when you refresh your page the issue resolves itself for a few moments, and that changing the browsers helped some other members has me thinking this might be browser-related.

But no worries, we'll do the best to locate why this might be happening. 

Chrome was a new install so I believe it should be the latest version, right? What about Firefox? Have you checked you're running its latest version? 

As a last step, I'd suggest that you restore your browser to its default settings and try again. If none of these work, don't hesitate to let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

starlightof
Explorer | Level 3

Chrome was a fresh install and I'm sure Firefox is all updated as well.

I still had this issue in the morning today, however I just tried to load all the videos forcefully and it seems like it fixes the issue when it finished downloading all the files. And, for some reason, after that it also started working just fine on Chrome. Seems like I can't replicate it anymore. Honestly, must be some kind of a Dropbox bug in my opinion, as I'm not the only one experiencing this same issue.

Thanks for your time and effort!

Need more support?