cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Previews Heavily Compressed (JPG & PDF)

Dropbox Previews Heavily Compressed (JPG & PDF)

ryanxx
Helpful | Level 6

I've been noticing recently, that when I preview a large resolution JPG in the dropbox viewer on desktop, it is far more heavily compressed and crunchy looking than it has been previously. I understand the purpose of this for saving bandwidth, but even when the image is zoomed in, some of the compression remains and makes my artwork look bad quality. The same has been happening with PDFs previewed in dropbox on the browser, the colours have been displaying slightly off when they didn't previously. 

As I'm using dropbox to give digital proofs to a client, I find this to be an issue as they assume the file is low quality or incorrectly coloured. 

Is there anyway to turn off the compression, or at the very least dial it back on a server level so my images don't look so terrible.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @ryanxx - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you clarify what you mean by Dropbox viewer on desktop? Are you previewing the files though a web browser or locally on your computer?

If you could send us a couple of screenshots as well, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!  

PS: The preview on the website is always a compressed version of the file you're previewing and can't be adjusted at this time. Downloading the file and previewing it locally on any device should help in those cases though. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?